Older (~8 week) Beer with Odd Scent

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vuarra

Reaction score
I noticed an off flavour in the beer (and the wife noticed an off scent in my breath) of Doritos. Recipe is basically 4 kg amber syrup, 0.5lb each Victory and Crystal 80, enough hops to make a malty brew. I've done this recipe before, and no off tastes (and certainly no corn). Where should I be looking for improvement?

Thanks, wonderbread. Not what I was expecting, so it looks like the remainder of the batch goes down the sink :'(

Thanks, wonderbread. Not what I was expecting, so it looks like the remainder of the batch goes down the sink :'(

I'd save it and drink it if you can. You could also turn it into a learning experience and see where it goes. It'll probably not get better, but it won't hurt you and can be interesting to see where it goes.

I'd save it and drink it if you can. You could also turn it into a learning experience and see where it goes. It'll probably not get better, but it won't hurt you and can be interesting to see where it goes.

I got two other batches I've kept in the same room, and they have not cleared after a month... I'm not holding my breath on those, either. Even better, while I can clean the carboys with boiling water and bleach, I have no idea about the stainless keg... No Star-San dealers around here.

Just a heads up on this thread.... Remember how someone started a thread about Don't Throw Out Your Batch?

I did not, and I am glad. No infection, just not quite clear (I did use a tiny bit of wheat, but doubt that is what it is). I did *finally* find a no rinse cleaner, and used that in my keg, took the whole thing apart, etc. This batch of Brava Clone is nice.

What I learned about this: NEVER ASSUME!!!

Back