Freeze distilling and hop concentrations.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakedawgs

Reaction score
Out to dinner with friends, a couple of which were brewers and a couple of which were chemists. A buddy ordered and Eisbock and it got us talking about freeze distilling beer. I mentioned while Eisbocks are usually.......Bocks, I would like to try to freeze distill a big IIPA or something different, just for the hell of it. One of the chemists raised the issue of hop concentration. When you freeze you are not only concentrating the alcohol, you are concentrating everything and she wondered if that might be in issue with high hops or something else.

Anyone familiar with this stuff have any input? To keep this simple and straightforward I would appreciate people with knowledge about this stuff to chime in. If you are 'sure' there is no problem with this but have no basis, thanks. Also, I know they have been making Eisbocks for years and likely no one has died from this, I am just wondering about scientific side of the concentration of hops and some of the other stuff besides the alcohol.
Thanks much
Lakedawgs

If freeze-distilling a bock turns it into an eisbock, then wouldn't freeze-distilling an IIPA turn it into something barleywine-esque?

For purposes of doing this to an IIPA, say you start out with 150+ IBUS and a gravity of 1.070 OG / 1.012 FG. Freeze-distilling it would bump up the gravity, but further concentration of theoretical IBUs would be of no consequence since the most we can perceive taste-wise as human beings is about 90-110 IBUs. Thus, I would think the gravity/sweetness would win out in the end and be more noticeable than the bitterness. You would effectively turn a dry bitter beer into a sweeter, less bitter beer, but still one with decent hop presence.

I agree with your post for sure. My thought of doing this is just for the process, and I'm not a big fan of Eisbocks. But what got our group talking was any possible reactions or changes in hops via concentrating them as opposed to just adding more. I personally doubt there is but have no basis in saying this.

Back