Southwest Airlines Rocks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cheese.jpg

red x for me

ok now it shows, WTF?

Now, think a moment, from where did she get that mentality?

Hmm, perhaps it's our welfare state...a culture that encourages dependency...our affluence-driven feeling that nothing bad can ever happen to us? Yes, we the people are quite disgusting sometimes :(.

Guess what, fatass. Life's unfair, you're a terrible parent, and I hope you choke on the forthcoming settlement cash, you cow.

She got a refund for her tickets and I bet Southwest's attorneys tell her lawyers to pound sand. Safety of the passengers and crew come before lazy, inconsiderate, irresponsible and incompetent parents and their spawn.

As a parent of 2 small children I say.............GOOD WORK SW.

It's a privilege to fly airlines not a right. Sure you pay to do it, but once you endanger others, you should be removed and tickets refunded.

I think SW did what should have been done and nothing more/nothing less.

I will guarantee that mother will sue, and I hope SW fights it all the way.

To go slightly off topic, I feel this is the case with the video game industry...I wanna blow **** up, see some boobs here and there...but it sometimes doesn't happen because some parent, umm, forgot to parent and the kid has it....wtf?

/OT

That's not really how that decision gets made-- I've sat in on those discussions. It gets made based on what is going to reach the broadest audience.

For example: In the XMen legends games, there was no reason NOT to make wolverine a bloodly, hacking monster. Marvel has no problem with that portrayal. We could have easily gone with a M for Mature rating game-- heck, there is nothing compelling us to get an ESRB rating at all except our organization's commitment to it.

But instead we chose to aim for T for Teen because the game would resonate with a broader audience with less gore and, as such, it made better fiscal sense to do so.

There is no law that says we have to have a rating to sell our game and it isn't the parents that are refusing to parent that cause us to choose to us a lower rating-- in fact it is the parents who would choose not to buy our games for their kids because of a higher rating that makes us choose that route.

Couple on topic posts:

a) I don't see the relevance of how the mother looks. She could have been the hottest little milf on the planet standing next to a guy who looked like a Rhodes Scholar and nothing significant about the situation would have changed, really.

b) just because you can 'afford' to take a trip doesn't mean you necessarily have the ready cash to book a last minute hotel room and a last minute flight. I don't think I have ever taken a checkbook on a trip and if I lost or forgot my credit cards, I could very well get stranded in a situation like that-- at least until I could find someplace to have friends or family wire me money.

c) while we don't know what the urgency of the trip was, the lack of any comment on it suggests this was a vacation or family visitation. After all, the parents AND the press want to make this as dramatic as possible and we all know that 'SW KICKS SICK CHILD ON WAY TO DOCTOR OFF AIRPLANE' would have been a better headline, both in the press and in court.

d) Some medical conditions prohibit the use of or limit the effectiveness of sedatives. I have heard, though can't confirm, that some cases of autism would require dangerous amounts of sedatives to calm the patient. We can't assume that sedation was a real option in these cases.

e) Being compassionate towards the disabled is certainly something we should do in polite society. However by the same token, those with disabilities should make reasonable accommodation for those around them. Accommodation is a 2 way street.

On the last flight I took to Malaysia we were on the 14 hour leg of the flight. There was one Mother, who despite her every effort, could not get her child to stop screaming. We all reckognized that she was trying her best but, it was still miserable.

Most parents should have a medication option if they are going to fly... especially if you KNOW your kid is going to cause issues.

If I was on a plane with unruly kids and the parents were not doing anything I would walk over to the mother and say your kids are out of control and causing a safety risk, if you don't take care of it right now I am going to take the satalite phone and call the TSA and report your kids as unruly passengers.

I have two philosophies:

1) Never judge before walking a mile in their shoes.
2) Anytime a parent uses the "kids were just being kids" line to excuse their sh!tty behavior, take of one off those shoes and b!tch slap them upside the face.

Let me speak with experience on this subject. I am a captain at an airline and let me say first hand. This type of thing hits very close to home. People think that they can get away with murder because they paid for a ticket. The public me being included need to keep in mind that we have to maintain normalcy even when mad about a delay. I see on a regular basis unruly kids and ADULTS that thing they are deserved something because of whatever reason. Although these circomstances are extremly few and far between I really dont understand where people get off. I have flown professionally for three years and have yet to kick anyone off a plane. This being said let me say if i see kids or adults being disruptive to others i will personally ask you off my plane. If that doesnt work i will have you arrested and then ask you off my plane. I commend the people who didnt let these ridiculous people on their plane at Southwest. No wonder why they are the only ones making a profit. 37000 feet in a confined capsule is nowhere to deal with this type of thing.

Just my opinion.

Overall, I hate hate hate southworst airlines. But in this case, I dig them.

I sometimes take three flights a week, so I've been on a lot of flights. More than once, I've turned to a parent and asked them to "control" their child. After working a 12-18 hour shift then getting on a plane, I don't need to deal with a 5 year old kicking the back of my chair. Damn right I'm gonna say something. Did anyone on the flight (besides the flight attendants) tell the mother to control her kids?

Stand up for yourselves, dammit. Say something. Or call an attendant over and say something to them.

I agree the 'kids being kids' is a cop out line. Had I done that stuff in public I'd have gotten my arse beaten there, and then again when I got home.

Sure, if the child is actually disabled, then they get a bit more wiggle room for 'acceptable' behavior. But why do I feel that the Autistic kid wasn't the one running up and down the aisle in this instance?

b

For one of Biermuncher's beers? Only one flight? I thought that would take ten or twelve flights:D

I agree completely, assuming the disruptive children aren't mentally disabled...

+1...i hate a disruptive kid as much as anyone else (don't even really like kids) but the airline crew needs to be smart enough to switch their seats with someone else with nobody in front of them.

On the other hand, you need the parent to be responsible enough to take measures themselves. This may have been handled better on both ends.

im honored that you would offer your "EdWorts Apfelwein" for tickets. Just remember they are buddy passes and you would have to fly stand by so you might have to sit in an airport allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll day

I you can ban them from CHURCH, you can ban them from Air Travel.

At least in a church, you can get up and leave if you are tired of the behaviour.

My church has a special room for misbehaving kids. You can't hear a thing when they are in there. It's a good thing. They can rant all they want and they don't disturb the rest of the service.

I'm generally a very sympathetic person- but one of the things I'm tired of is bad parents. Now, I don't know the whole situation here- but if the kids were "running up and down the aisles", what was the mother and aunt doing? One of the things that chaps me is kids running around (grocery store, bank, etc) and the mom wringing her hands and saying, "Bryson, please come here. Please stop screaming. Please stop hitting that lady."

My philosophy of parenting? never have more children than you should. If you can effectively parent one child, have one. If you can effectively parent six, have six. IF you can't (or don't want) any, cool with me.

But this woman has four children. Two have disabilities. Maybe she isn't capable of mothering four children effectively, thus having the aunt with her. That is certainly NOT an excuse for bad behavior. I know many people who have children with handicaps and can still be a parent. Maybe she should stop thinking that making excuses for bad behavior is acceptable.

After it all shakes out, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if it turned out those kids weren't disabled at all, and that either she made that up to cover up for her terrible parenting...or somebody at the trailer park once saw her crazy kids and said "I betcha one'dems awtistik and d'otha one's got the palzee!", and she took that and ran with it as an excuse to be a lazy parent. That woman seems like just the kind of person to do that...milk this situation for all it's worth and then some. Nobody's got sympathy for misbehaving kids, but toss in the words "autistic" or "cerebral palsy" and bam, you have a possible civil suit to file.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

After it all shakes out, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if it turned out those kids weren't disabled at all, and that either she made that up to cover up for her terrible parenting...or somebody at the trailer park once saw her crazy kids and said "I betcha one'dems awtistik and d'otha one's got the palzee!", and she took that and ran with it as an excuse to be a lazy parent. That woman seems like just the kind of person to do that...milk this situation for all it's worth and then some. Nobody's got sympathy for misbehaving kids, but toss in the words "autistic" or "cerebral palsy" and bam, you have a possible civil suit to file.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

+1. I'm thinking the same. The girl in the video who allegedly has cerebral palsy did not look like she was suffering from any affliction.

I give my kids benadryl if we are going on a flight. Knocks those little buggers out cold for the duration

+1. Drug em up. It sounds bad, but realistically it is a very good solution. They take a snooze and everyone wins.

After it all shakes out, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if it turned out those kids weren't disabled at all,

That was one of the first things my coworkers and I were talking about. It seems these days about every kid I meet has some kind of disorder. And there are degrees of affliction as well. Some autistic people are the Rain Man type, while others it is very hard to tell they are Autistic.

Maybe she should stop thinking that making excuses for bad behavior is acceptable.

My FIL is a School Bus Driver. One year, a 17 yr. old girl started making advances toward him, doing all kinds of ridiculous gestures, etc. He told her to sit down, and that he was a married man. So the District installed a video camera on the bus. A few weeks later, the Principle calls him in because he received a call that the girl on the bus claimed he was sexually harassing her!

So they have a pow-wow in the Principles office. The mom comes in off the handle about how my FIL was harassing her daughter. The Principle says "I have something I'd like you to see" and turns on the video. He points to her daughter and asks "Is this your daughter"? To which she says "Yes". The girl then proceeds to do everything that my FIL had mentioned she was doing. At that, the mother, in a huff says "I DON'T HAVE TO TAKE THIS" and storms out!

The pride, arrogance, ego and disrespect some people have is so huge they simply can't seem to handle the truth of it.

Tough call, my ass. Why should anyone have to put up with that madness just because the kids have disorders? If I had tourette's syndrome and chronic seizures, should I be allowed in the movie theater, screaming and blurting out obscenities and flailing around, just because I'm "disabled"? No.

You mean you *don't* have Tourette's? :D You sure had me fooled! :p

Did the one dude in that video really have a braided ponytail?

HOLY 1990, BATMAN!

Did the one dude in that video really have a braided ponytail?

HOLY 1990, BATMAN!

Good catch. That's what they call a "King Rat Tail". If I was Southwest, I'd kick THAT dude off too, for offending everyone's sensibilities. Imagine if one of the flight crew or the Pilots saw him...their uncontrollable laughter could be dangerous!

Here's similar case where a family is kicked out of a restaurant in Canada because their 5 year old would not stop screaming and kicking because she was upset her favourite food wasn't on the menu.

The restaurant is now falling all over itself apologizing after they find out the kid is autistic. Sorry, but that is not an excuse to ruin the meals and evenings of every other PAYING customer. My best friend has an autistic son and would not have tolerated 60 seconds of screaming in a restaurant before he would have removed him (he has about 30 seconds more tolerance with his kids as I did with mine).

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/2008/07/08/edm-smittys.html

Now the restaurant is going to raise money for autism research. Another inconsiderate excuse for a parent gets away with it.

Here's similar case where a family is kicked out of a restaurant in Canada because their 5 year old would not stop screaming and kicking because she was upset her favourite food wasn't on the menu.

The restaurant is now falling all over itself apologizing after they find out the kid is autistic. Sorry, but that is not an excuse to ruin the meals and evenings of every other PAYING customer. My best friend has an autistic son and would not have tolerated 60 seconds of screaming in a restaurant before he would have removed him (he has about 30 seconds more tolerance with his kids as I did with mine).

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/2008/07/08/edm-smittys.html

Now the restaurant is going to raise money for autism research. Another inconsiderate excuse for a parent gets away with it.

The more companies cave to it, the more they'll exploit it. Which is why I applaud SWA.

Well, hold your applause, or at least muffle it a bit. SWA announced last night that they were refunding these white trash inbreeders all of their money back.

Well if they didnt fly, then yes they should refund the cost of the plane tickets. Still, I would rather see a refunded ticket than make the other passengers put up with those peoples kids

Well, hold your applause, or at least muffle it a bit. SWA announced last night that they were refunding these white trash inbreeders all of their money back.

Ugh. Of course, nobody likes "bad" publicity. I guess it could be worse...I mean, they didn't get on the flight so it's not entirely unreasonable to refund the money.

Back