So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doing the Raging Red Irish ale, was supposed to be last weekend, but the OLHBS sent acidulated malt instead of the cara-aroma malt. Replaced without a problem, but arrived on Monday.

Rigged everything for the BIAB in an urn, crushed the malt and turned the urn on to heat to strike temp. Got to 33 degrees C and the residual current breaker tripped, reset it and no further temp rise. 3kW element popped, think I overstressed it last brew when I ran it dry to burn the residue off. So drained the mash water, sealed the crushed malt up and now waiting for a new element. :(:(:(

Of course, next weekend is a work thing. And the weekend after that, the power utility will probably run out of generating capacity and institute rolling blackouts again just to mess with me.

Swear, swear. I hate being right.

Got the urn repaired and brewed today. The power utility ran out of generating capacity on Thursday night and are running rolling blackouts with 2 hours off, 6 hours on until Monday morning. Managed to heat to strike temperature before the blackout started then waited until the power returned for the boil. Chilling now and waiting to pitch.

Bought 10lbs of pilsner on Thursday when I dropped off my entry for competition, so going to brew another WF lager tomorrow. Today is all for my parents, moving my Dad to his new group home and taking my mom to dinner tonight. Current lager (fermenting out in the garage, about 52) isn't quite done yet so have to keg off the irish death clone in the ferment fridge to make room for the new one. More competitions coming up so have to have beers to enter....and drink.

Just finished an American Blonde I've been wanting lately. Going to try to get ahead with my brewing for this summer but that never happens. Now I just have to clean up my mess.

Brewed up a 5 gal batch of a NEIPA today. The grain bill was pretty basic (mix of Pilsner and Maris Otter, with lots of Wheat and Oats) but I did throw in half a lb of Golden Naked Oats. First hop addition was at 10 min left in the boil (2 oz Centennial) with 6 oz of hops in a 180F whirlpool (Centennial, Citra and Mosaic). Planning for another 6 oz of dry hops and fermenting with London Ale III (my first time using that yeast).

20200201_111633 - Copy.jpg

Decided to try the overnight mash method others have posted; sparge is running out now. Gravity could have been higher (1st at 1.060, sparge is coming out at 1.020) but we'll run with it and see what happens. Brulosophy has a nice writeup on overnight mash. Going to be a nice light pilsner.

Decided to try the overnight mash method others have posted; sparge is running out now. Gravity could have been higher (1st at 1.060, sparge is coming out at 1.020) but we'll run with it and see what happens. Brulosophy has a nice writeup on overnight mash. Going to be a nice light pilsner.

After a 90 minute boil wound up with 1.062 SG, so really not unhappy with it. And being done before 9am on a Sunday? Oh hell yes. This opens up new possibilities for double brew-days, or those days when I have something else I gotta do but still want to brew. Only lost 15 degrees over 9 hours (it's cold as b*lls here today) but still got a nice wort out of it. Next project is to hit the fabric store for some heavy fleece to augment the thermowrap already on the tun, something I can secure with velcro and remove for easy cleaning. Fortunately I like sewing almost as much as I like brewing beer.

Will be brewing 12 gallons of my Sand Trappist Tripel Bogey ale. Preparing the yeast starters(!) (a two-stage 5L plus a single stage 5L) has been "fun".

Dad got a new nightstand when we moved him, so I brought his old one home. Drawers are kinda broken where they attach to the slider dohickeys, but a little hot glue and some short wood screws will fix that right up. Top is now my new stand for the brewery laptop, and once the drawers are fixed will be a nice place to keep things like water treatment chemicals, refractometer, brewing books, and random fittings and stuff. I'll post a pic when I have it all done, brewery is kind of a mess at the moment since we spent most of yesterday afternoon & evening setting up a guest room with dad's old bed (got a new one at new place). Now we have someplace for our friends to crash when they've spent the evening here drinking my homebrew....or me when the hubby and I have a tiff.

Doing a batch of my Galaxy neipa today. 30 minutes into the mash and going great so far...

Cheers!

20200206_113006.jpeg

[edits]

Sailed through the fly sparge to my pre-boil volume and picked up a few gravity points in the offing. I love it when that happens :)

galaxy_neipa4_02sm.jpg

Halfway through the boil now. MLT and HLT all nice and clean and ready to go at it again tomorrow...

galaxy_neipa4_03sm.jpg

[another addition]

All done. Pitched, oxygenated, instrumented and ready to rock! Finished 2 points high at full volume so feeling good and ready for a beer!

galaxy_neipa4_05sm.jpg

Did manage to score an own goal while chilling with my newly modified ss IC. I was trying to take a video of the whirlpool actually running through the coils for a change and while I was screwing around with that the much faster chiller had dropped the wort to 120°F! Had to pull the chiller, lid the kettle and fire up the burner to bring the wort back up to 155°F so I could add the 6 ounces of juicy WP hops! Dumb ass :D

Cheers!

Last edited:
I boiled some dme before work and took the yeast out of fridge. Will combine the 2 when I get home in perpetration for an American wheat I will be brewing Saturday morning.

I will be making my starter tonight for a homage to Le Petit Prince. This has been an ongoing obsession to brew a flavorful low ABV table beer.

In theory trying to get two brews in this weekend before I go on vacation for a week. One is a Guinness clone for St. Patricks Day, one is a tweak of my pilsner recipe I'm trying to perfect for my wedding in August.

Late start but today I'm doing a raspberry wheat beer. Smallish beer (48 points) with no post-boil hop additions so it should go quickly. Down side is the mash is so small it doesn't reach my Brewmometer so gotta probe it...

Cheers!
20200207_111515.jpeg

Can't beat brewing indoors on a cold rainy day if one has the option :)

Got the Wheat done, loaded it in its chamber then peeked at yesterday's neipa - which was rockin' hard enough krausen was appearing at the bottom of the s-locks. Quickly put the blow-offs on before a real mess was made...

raspberry_wheat_1_01.jpg

Now I get to chill for a week or so...

Cheers!

Today I’m brewing an American IPA (batch/ attempt #13), drink beer, and watch/ listen to Country music/videos.

For a solid 6+ hours today when I am Homebrewing I will be in my “relaxed and happy place” and all of life’s stressors will be temporarily gone from my mind.

Hope you all have a wonderful day! [emoji482]

Got the Wheat done, loaded it in its chamber then peeked at yesterday's neipa - which was rockin' hard enough krausen was appearing at the bottom of the s-locks. Quickly put the blow-offs on before a real mess was made...

I like the setup! What do you have holding the probes in place? I'd like to get away from using bungee cords.

Jumped a 9.6% Citra NEIPA. Fermented under pressure (at the end of fermentation, after dry hop #2). Fermented with wlp66, not wy1318 - sample was killer.
IMG_1962.JPG

Started mashing what will be a simcoe west coast double ipa. Gotta fill the keezer!
IMG_1966.JPG

Got the mash set for a Citra/Mosaic IPA this morning. I'm slap out of IPA to drink so it was time. This one will be bittered with Mosaic, then hit hard at the end with a combination of both, and dry hopped in 5 days with a whopping 2oz of each. May not seem like much hops to some of you but it's plenty for us. Still heady & giggling over yesterday's wins.

Hazy IPA with cashmere/mosaic/mosaic cryo. Did pretty much the exact same recipe as my last batch which is carbing up that was mosaic/citra/citra cryo, except that one used malted oats and this one used flaked oats. I usually change multiple variables from batch to batch so it sometimes hard dialing in exactly what's working and what's not. I don't suspect the body/mouthfeel of these 2 batches will be significantly different because of malted vs flaked oats but worth verifying.

Back