Parti-Gyle Wheat Questions/Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bribo179

Reaction score
I plan on doing a Parti-Gyle wheat batch in a 10 gallon Igloo cooler with the following...

1lb Caramunich Malt
1lb Rice Hulls
7lbs 2 Row Pale Malt
7lbs Malted Wheat

(I am very new to all grain brewing)
First ....will I need the rice hulls?

I plan on mashing at 152* with 22.5 qts of water for 60 minutes, Draining the 1st runnings and making about a 3 gallon batch of Winter Wheat.

I am going to then add about 6 gallons to the tank and steep at 168* and drain to make about 5 gallons of a lighter Honey Wheat beer.

For the 6 gallon runnings should i steep at 168* like a normal mash or is a better temperature recommended?

Also I am looking for yeast suggestions for the Winter Wheat (which I am going to add mulling spices too) and the Honey Wheat beer made with local honey (with maybe a bit of orange peel added). I am thinking about using Hallertau in both batches. I don't like overly hopped/bitter beer.

I am going to order from Midwest and would like to use liquid yeast on both ...but it doesn't have to be the same. I do NOT have the ability to lager.

Any suggestions or recommendations are greatly appreciated!

I like the Wyeast 3068. It's just a basic German wheat yeast. Tasty, nothing fancy.

Back