Refractometer adjustment for fermenting wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reim0027

Reaction score
Beersmith has a tool to convert your refractometer reading to SG. I have 3 options. The first is unfermented wort, second is fermenting wort, and finished wort.

My question is why the conversion? My SG comes in much lower with the conversion than the unfermented wort conversion. Is it because the alcohol bends the light differently and that needs to be compensated for?

Sorry, first batch with a refractometer (it is an ATC, BTW).

Side note, I don't know if it will help. I am fermenting a light lager. My OG was 9B and now it is 3.9B (1.035 -> 1.004), this is a week into fermentation. Tastes ok, no sour flavors noted, predominant malty sweetness, color pale with good clarity.

My question is why the conversion? My SG comes in much lower with the conversion than the unfermented wort conversion. Is it because the alcohol bends the light differently and that needs to be compensated for?

Yes.

And the conversions with the various programs are not always accurate. You're better off using a hydrometer for ferementing and feremented wort.

Hmm. Maybe I'll do a few side-by-side comparisons, checking Beersmith's accuracy. Thanks bro.

Great, I'll check them out. I'm about ready to take a hydro reading (letting the sample warm up) to check my Beersmith. I'll read those articles. More info is always better.

When I need to determine if fermentation is complete, I use the refractometer and take a Brix reading (but don't try converting to SG. When the Brix reading stops dropping, fermentation is done, and I can take a single hydrometer reading to get an accurate result.

Sean Terrill's calculator has been the least inaccurate calculator that I have found, but it still isn't as accurate as the hydrometer.

[Doh] Didn't realize how old this thread was. [/Doh]

-a.

Latest posts

Back