Have a question about my first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

socalhomebrewer

Reaction score
I am going on day 11 of my fermintation of my first batch. It is a red. The book I have says it should be ready to bottle in 7-10 days, but I still have the airlock releasing every 60-120 seconds. My other problem is it still has alot of stuff floating around in it when im taking the gravity readings. Can anyone help me out as to if I should wait longer.

I'd wait until some of the "stuff" settles out, and the beer starts to clear. If you bottle beer with crud in it, the crud will end up in your bottles. I like to wait until fermentation is over, then wait about another week or so. Sometimes, if fermentation has finished and there are still floaties in the beer, it helps to chill the fermenter down if you can. A spare fridge or a cool basement really helps with that!

Once the beer is clearing, you can check the SG with a hydrometer and make sure it's stable. Check it again in three days and if it hasn't changed, it's safe to bottle.

It's really common for directions to abbreviate the timelines much shorter than they "should" be. The general consensus seems to be at least 3 weeks in the fermenter, 3 weeks in the bottle.

It's also common for stuff to still be floating around throughout the fermentation.

Airlock activity isn't a good sign of fermentation - the hydrometer reading is.

Back