Yeast comparison WLP002 vs WLP023

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyc

Reaction score
I'm doing a Lagunitas IPA clone that calls for WLP002 English ESB. I've got WLP023 Burtons and I wanted to see if anyone had tried it in an IPA.

I've not tried 002, but I have used 023 plenty of times and have compared it to other English yeast strains including dry and liquid. I think 023 is very unique in it's ester profile. I've used the same recipe with different yeasts, including S-04, Windsor, and White Labs Essex Ale Yeast. All were good (except I wasn't real fond of the Essex Ale Yeast), but none compared to the ester profile of the 023.

I also prefer it fermented in the lower half of it's temperature range. I've found some fusel alcohols in the higher end, but the lower end still keeps a good amount of pleasant fruity esters without the fusels.

I've used WLP023 several times for English IPA's with excellent results. It attenuates more than the 002, and as menschmaschine said it has a very interesting flavor profile.

I love the 002 for bitters, but don't think I'd like to try it in an IPA

-a.

Too little too late...I guess I'll find out in a couple months. But the attenuation difference is nice, with a 1.070 OG I hope it gets me down in the teens.

Back