how do i work this thing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amishland

Reaction score
sorry i feel like a moron but I cant figure this thing out.
642-Battery.jpg

anyone have one and want to teach me how to use it?

I open my co2 tank and it just spews air out all the pressure release valves.
I bought it from micromatic and it comes with zero documentation.
I thought it was self explanitary but not soo much.

so far I have set both dial all the way counter clock wise with intentions of turning the pressure to zero.

i have both red valves perpendicular to the hose out of the bottom hypethetically turning off air flow

and the c02 blows out the pressure release valves on top.

i have pulled them and no luck, i do have a wire loop with a red tag on them, it does not prevent them from seating. it appears to be like a form the factory security tag to see if the pressure valve has been serviced or tampered by the consumer?

i plan on calling mm in the morning, anyone get an idea I will try it tonight before bed

Is my Micromatic regulator defective? - BrewBoard
"Well I went ahead and removed the pressure valve to see if anything was stuck in it. Nothing."
"Put it back on with pipe sealant. No more leaks. Weird. I guess I won't bother sending it back now."

did a google search and found this, I may give it a try if mm tells me to do it.

what do you think he meant by pipe sealant?

I have the single body version, I'm getting ready to put it on my now-full CO2 tank... I'll let you know what happens.

Edit: First time I opened the cylinder I had a leak at the fitting where the regulator connects to the tank. I put some teflon tape on the threads and tried again; everything's good.
No problems with the relief valve though.

Is my Micromatic regulator defective? - BrewBoard
"Well I went ahead and removed the pressure valve to see if anything was stuck in it. Nothing."
"Put it back on with pipe sealant. No more leaks. Weird. I guess I won't bother sending it back now."

did a google search and found this, I may give it a try if mm tells me to do it.

what do you think he meant by pipe sealant?

Use some teflon tape on it, that might seal it up.

I would think MM would ship them with some sort of sealant in place but who knows it might have been overlooked

Shouldn't need teflon tape between the regulator and CO2 - there should be a nylon washer that you fit in between and snug tightly.

there is a nylon washer.

I called mm they have no idea why it would leak from the PRV (also the PRV is not serviceable it must be replaced only) and my reg is out of warranty, but the guy I spoke with was nice enough to personally look at for me even after warranty is up.

It sounds like you just have a leak. Are you sure the CO2 is coming out of the PRV, or is is coming from the threads somewhere. A lot of these companies will send out regulators that were put together poorly. I would check all the fittings and make sure they have teflon tape then tighten them down.

If it is your PRV those can be purchased at your local welding supply for $5, just make sure to get the appropriate one. The current ones should be labeled.

Shouldn't need teflon tape between the regulator and CO2 - there should be a nylon washer that you fit in between and snug tightly.

Even with the washer I use teflon tape on mine. It's not going to hurt it so you might as well add some tape the assurance is worth it.

It turns out that where the two reg join was loose and it was not leaking from the pressure release valves, but leaking onto them.

It got repaired and I ordered some check valves to protect my investment, and its on its way home to me next week.

Back