Mmmmm parsley!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Having a bland and disappointing dunkelweizen, I decided to dryhop it for additional character. This was also a batch in which I had slight concern regarding a possible infection as there was a slightly medicinal taste.

Well, the medicinal taste seems to have faded, but the pellets I used for dry-hopping left a very distinct vegetal flavor. Yup. It tastes like fresh parsley!

It's not bad, mind you, and truth be told, it tastes better than it did without the addition, but it's definitely not something I would normally seek to achieve in my beers.

I think I'm just going to call it a Belgian farmhouse wheat beer and call it good. :mug:

So does everybody always stick only with whole leaf hops for dry hopping? I was aware of the possibility of the vegetal flavors, but at only 3/4 ounce of hops, thought I could get away with it. Anybody have any opinions on the matter?

Bland beer? How long did it age?

I've had a few bland ones and over a month or so the flavor came out and the world was again safe from me.

Well, I feel better about my dunkelweizen after stopping by Three FLoyds brewpub last night. I had their ESB and guess what.

It tasted wayy more like parsley than my beer does. Maybe people think it's a desirable flavor. Or, maybe Three Floyds creates more duds than other brewpubs. I think that's the more likely answer. I'm not crazy about Three Floyds.

Well, it's been in bottles for almost a week and guess what.

It's a fanTASTIC summer beer.

I dry hopped with pellets and, sadly, there are some floaties. But, hey, it's a hefeweizen. It's not supposed to last forever anyway.

I used 5.5 ounces of priming sugar and they are just *slightly* overcarbed at room temp, so I think I'm good there.

As for the flavor, it's a very mild wheat with a strong herbal taste. Quite refreshing. Surprisingly. I will definitely be dry hopping another hefeweizen.

Maybe I should've mentioned that this is my first ever dry hop?

Latest posts

Back