Need some recipe advice for leftover hops..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phunhog

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Well I went to the LHBS all set to buy the ingredients to make the Bee Cave House Pale Ale. They had all the grain but no Cascades....and nothing even close substitution wise. So I figured I have some leftover hops and I can piece together a pale ale.
My grain bil for the recipe is:
8 lbs Maris Otter
2 lbs Vienna
. 5 lb Crystal 10L

The extra hops I have are:
1 oz Centennial
.5 oz Perle
.33 oz Horizon
.25 Galena
.25 Nugget

I was thinking of just using up the Perle, Horizon, Galena, and Nugget as 60 min bittering. The Centennial would be for flavor/aroma. Anybody have any better suggestions or see any potential problems? :confused:I have never used so many different bittering hops before. Thanks. Al:mug:

Why use them all at 60? Why not try to get some in there after 20 minutes to get a little flavor contribution?

i would probably use the galena, nuggget, and perle as bittering, centennial as flavor at 20, and horizon as aroma. that much centennial as aroma could be overwhelming. in a 5 gallon, that should leave you in the mid-50's for ibu

somebody likes centennial for that recipe. it's really a personal thing, so it might be overwhelming or might not. i'm just putting the thought out there, not mandating

Back