Did I manage to build a mash tun for $0 out of pocket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan_PA

Reaction score
I used items I had in the basement either given to me or bought for other projects that have become spares. I had a 5-6 ft length of steel braided hose. I separated the braid from the inner tube. I also got a large (10 Gal) rectangular igloo cooler from my brother who is living with me temporarily since he had no use for it. I had a few brass fitting items left over from misc. kegging projects and other random homeowner activities. I thoroughly cleaned the inside of the cooler, removed the stock drain, threaded a 3 inch long 1/2 inch wide brass shank through the stock drain, then re inserted it in the stock hole. I then added a nipple on the inside side of the shank which has the braided steel clamped. Then, I added a brass elbow on the outside with a ball valve and another nipple on the outside and finally some food grade tubing.

Is this a fully functioning mash tun?

Aside from a grain mill and sparging arm, both tagged at future additions, I believe I am ready to go all grain as soon as I get more research done. In addition to the mash tun, I have a 150K BTU burner, a 30 qt ss pot, a 17 gal. ss pot a shirron chiller and all of my regular extract equipment. Is there anything I am overlooking?

If it looks like a mash tun and smells like a mash tun.............................................. its probably a mash tun.

Nice, i took me 20 dollars to get mine together. I would say you are ahead of the 8-ball on this project.

way to go, I built mine for $15.

Batch sparge and buy precrushed grains from austinhombrew.

You are all set.

If it looks like a mash tun and smells like a mash tun.....................................
you're either brewing or need to work on your sanitation.

I agree, buy a kit from austin and follow the directions. You could do a mini-mash as a test run.

Back