Wrong size regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan_howard

Reaction score
Ok, I kinda feel like an idiot. I scored a CO2 tank on craigslist last month. I got on here looking for a recommended regulator on the cheap, and a poster suggested this one - nothing fancy:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D86IMPI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

But, either I'm just missing a connector that I don't know I need, or I have the wrong part altogether. Here's pics of the tank and the regulator.

Yes I know what it looks like....

Should I try to send the regulator back?

tank.jpg

regulator.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard for me to tell from the pics.

Take it down to where you'll fill the bottle and ask them. I'm sure they can set you up with the right fittings.

That's not the regulator that is in the amazon link.
They sent you the wrong regulator.

It looks like a regulator made for welding equipment. It is surely different than the ones for homebrew kegging.

I guess you will need to return it. The ones for homebrew kegging mostly have the attachment to the co2 bottle coming out the side, not the back.

Beverage/medical tanks accept female regulator fittings, and welding tanks normally accept male regulator fittings. They do make adapters, which you can find at local welding supply houses for around 10-15 bucks. I guess just weigh the cost of sending it back vs buying an adapter. But adding an adapter will increase the stick out of the regulator, so you might want to take that into consideration.

Ok, I kinda feel like an idiot. I scored a CO2 tank on craigslist last month. I got on here looking for a recommended regulator on the cheap, and a poster suggested this one - nothing fancy:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D86IMPI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

But, either I'm just missing a connector that I don't know I need, or I have the wrong part altogether. Here's pics of the tank and the regulator.

Yes I know what it looks like....

Should I try to send the regulator back?
The Amazon you linked to is what you got.
You need one like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003WX772G/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

ClaudiusB said:

The amazon link he provided shows a female coupler, the actual pic he shows is a male coupler. Am I seeing things? I surely could be, but they look different to me.

Edit* I am seeing things. You are correct sir. The different angles threw me for a loop. I have never seen a regulator mount with the gauges facing that way before.

The amazon link he provided shows a female coupler, the actual pic he shows is a male coupler. Am I seeing things? I surely could be, but they look different to me.

Edit* I am seeing things. You are correct sir. The different angles threw me for a loop. I have never seen a regulator mount with the gauges facing that way before.

I see the male on the bottom(below the left gauge) , same regulator as in his picture. No female tank connection, only gas out is female.

ClaudiusB said:
I see the male on the bottom(below the left gauge) , same regulator as in his picture. No female tank connection, only gas out is female.

That's what I saw after I flipped it in my mind!! That is a industrial/welding co2/argon MIG regulator.

Thanks everyone.

I went to a local store that carries some welding equipment, but they didn't have an adapter that would work. Plus, some reading I did suggests that pure CO2 might cause problems inside a regulator meant for an argon/CO2 mix. The picture definitely made it appear that it had the correct fitting.

So, I'll send it back to Amazon and find another one. I appreciate everyone's time!

Back