Blending with commercial wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewkowski

Reaction score
I've got a batch of Barbera (first grape wine,made from Alexander's concentrate) and it had some serious issue during fermentation. I had thrown a brew belt on it to keep it at a decent temperature but apprently the yeast I had used (Lalvin RC212 I think) required significant nutrients which I had not given it in time. Basically the temp got up to 100 degrees, there had been some rotten egg odor. So needless to say this wine turned out far from what I was hoping, basically no aroma and probably some off flavors but since it's only 5 months old I don't want to dump it if I don't have to. Would blending with 1 gal or so of a commerical wine help? I don't really want to bulk age it any longer since most of my aging happens on my back porch where it is outdoors with temperatures swings.
I know you can't fix bad wine, but is it worth a shot? Basically to bring in some aroma, body, and add some flavor. Maybe a bigger wine like a Cab or something?

In my opinion it wouldn't be a bad idea... just to see what you can come up with. But don't forget to keep some water nearby for you first tasting!

Well, we'll see what it turns out like. I was at the store and saw a bottle of Barefoot Sweet Red on sale (1.5L) and added it. Haven't tried the blend yet, figure I'd give it some time, but the Barefoot sweet red was actually pretty good. They suggested serving it cold, but I drank it at room temp and I think it's just what I was looking for, bigger body and fruity. So worse case scenario, I at least found a cheap wine for making sangria or something.

Back