Leaving starsan in draft lines/taps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJSkypala

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am about to go away for a month and I am cleaning my lines so they are nice and ready to go when I get back. I do the following:

1. soak and rinse with warm oxyclean
2. soak and rinse with blc
3. rinse with hot water
4. star-san

Is it OK to leave starsan in the lines while I leave. I have perlick stainless faucets and I don't know whether this will be safe.

Thanks!

I've left starsan in my lines for a couple of weeks with no problem. Not sure about an overly extensive time peroid though.

I only do steps 2 and 3 with my lines. Any time I've left a vinyl hose in Star-San for any length of time, it's cloudy and slimy when I pull it out.

I just leave water in the lines and call it done. I also clean them immediately after a keg kicks, so they never have a chance to get funky.

-Joe

Theoretically you could leave the starsan in there for a minute to reach sanitization, and then drain the lines. They would still be sanitized if left like this. The only downside I can see is that slickness that starsan gives to vinyl tubing... that's gotta indicate that something is getting rubbed off and dissolved.

I just recently left some vinyl hoses soaking in Starsan for a week. When I pulled them out they were white, and felt like they had vaseline on them. I hung them to dry, but after 3 days, they are still cloudy and greasy feeling. Did I fubar my hoses?

I'm with the cloudy and slimy crowd. Sterilize with the StarSan, then flood the lines with beer.

Be sure to draw off a half pint before serving when you get back.

I only do steps 2 and 3 with my lines. Any time I've left a vinyl hose in Star-San for any length of time, it's cloudy and slimy when I pull it out.

I just leave water in the lines and call it done. I also clean them immediately after a keg kicks, so they never have a chance to get funky.

-Joe

+1 There is no need for StarSan in the beer line, IMHO.

Update: After a few days of hanging out to dry, the ends of the vinyl tubes are starting to clear. I'm thinking the haziness is water absorption that takes a while to diffuse out. I might try a hair dryer to accelerate the process.

Back