Question(s) on posted wheat recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Saw this recipe on another thread (swmbo slayer recipe) and I previously asked within that thread the questions below. I didn't get any response so if anyone can answer parts of these questions that would be great.

Original Post:
I only have room and equipment for extract based recipes and I saw this recipe posted in a previous post.

3 lbs. Wheat DME
2 lbs. Extra Lght DME
8 oz. Caramel 10°L
8 oz. Flaked Wheat
4 oz. Caravienne malt

1 oz hops (looks like they changed to Glacier from Williamette)

1 oz hops (looks like they changed to Glacier from Williamette)

Has anyone used this recipe for the wheat based swmbo slayer and have any advice on a successful brew they would like to share? I am still a newbie and can use all the advice I can get.

1) I am not sure of which type of yeast to use and at what times the hops should be added to the boil.

2) Do I steep the 8 oz. Caramel, 8 oz flaked wheat and caravienne malt together prior to adding the DME? I have done a partial grain batch before where I steeped the grains for 20 minutes at 160-170 F prior to adding the extract and bringing to a full boil. From John Palmer's book I recall that he recommends using 1 gallon of water per 1 pound of grain for the steeping. Thus, this would need 2 pots of water going to do near a full boil.

3) What does the "10°L" stand for with the Caramel? The closest LBHS store is 90+ miles away so I want to make sure I have everything down prior to making the trip.

thanks...:ban:

Mick

1. If you're using Wyeast, use 1010 for an American wheat (low esters, clean flavor) and 3068 for a true, traditional German wheat (estery, funky flavor)... Do you want a wheat or a wit?

2. Steep all the grains together in 152 deg F water and for prob closer to 30-45 min. The closer you can get to full boil volume, the better.

3. 10 deg L refers to the color on the Lovibond scale. It is a light colored crystal malt, providing minimal caramel and color characteristics. I would hope the LHBS would have a variety of crystal malts.

Good Luck!

My extract conversion:

5 lbs. Wheat DME
2 lbs. Extra Lght DME
8 oz. Caramel 10°L
4 oz. Flaked Wheat
4 oz. Caravienne malt

1 oz Williamette

Wyeast 3944

It came out very good and is my favorite Wit. Wouldn't do anything different.
OG 1.050
FG 1.008

Thanks for the reply gentlemen. I am looking to make more of a clean flavor wheat beer instead of a wit so that some of my non-home brew drinking friends might give this a try next spring or summer.

Should I add the 1 oz Williamette hops for the entire boil after I have steeped the grains?
(Are these to be used as bittering hops or aroma hops? or both?)

Thanks,

Mick

“Normally”, Williamette is be used for aroma purposes. But if you are using them for bittering, they need to be in for the entire boil to give adequate IBUs. Plus, with wheat type beers, you’re not looking for overwhelming hoppiness. However, if you like hops, I say do whatever you like. I’m always up for a good style violation. And, I think some of the citrus hops can be a nice addition to wheat beers. I use cascade in mine as a 15 min addition. I’m sure purists would frown.

Back