What the hell is going on?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morbid53

Reaction score
It seems no matter what I do I can not hit more than 60% eficiency And I can not understand why I have changed the P.H. of my water using P.H. 5.2 I have a fine crush I use breiss pale 2 row malt for my base I use 2 electric turkey fryers one for sparge and one for my MLT I like these because it is easy to control the temp. I heat my water to 155 then add my grain because I use the fryers I do not loose much heat at this time usually cook for one hour with no rest then mash out and sparge with 170 water any Idea what the hell is going on I'm lost:tank: :tank:

morbid53 said:
It seems no matter what I do I can not hit more than 60% eficiency And I can not understand why I have changed the P.H. of my water using P.H. 5.2 I have a fine crush I use breiss pale 2 row malt for my base I use 2 electric turkey fryers one for sparge and one for my MLT I like these because it is easy to control the temp. I heat my water to 155 then add my grain because I use the fryers I do not loose much heat at this time usually cook for one hour with no rest then mash out and sparge with 170 water any Idea what the hell is going on I'm lost:tank: :tank:
What is your pre-boil volume of water?

Maybe you need to continue to sparge to a higher pre-boil volume and do a longer boil to bring the volume back down.

I found that if I recirculate some of my sparge water by using a simple sauce pot to collect a gallon or two and pour it right back in to recirculate, my efficiency improves.

if you are heating your water to only 155 then adding the grains, your only going to be mashing in the 140s. you need to compensate for your grain temps

Heat your strike water to 168-170ish. And, I recommend using a cooler MLT, much better temp control.

If your thermometer is near the bottom of your turkey fryer its going to be hotter down there, so you won't necessarily have a constant temp throughout.

... my 2 cents.

I agree that your strike temperature is too low. How much water are you using in the mash and sparge?
Also, what do you mean by this?
morbid53 said:
I heat my water to 155 then add my grain because I use the fryers I do not loose much heat at this time usually cook for one hour with no rest then mash out and sparge with 170 water any Idea what the hell is going on I'm lost:tank: :tank:
When you say cook do you mean that you mash the grains for an hour?

Back