Possibly infected liberty cream ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bribo179

Reaction score
I recently brewed a liberty cream ale kit with safale 05 from midwest supplies. I took a gravity reading 1 week in the primary fermenter and fermentation was going well and it smelled great.

On day 14 which is today I open the fermenter and the yeast cake has broken apart. the beer also has a strong odor of a frambois type fruit wine. I racked the beer into a carboy and the yeast cake looks like oatmeal. I am new to brewing and I don't know if this is what the east cake normally looks like for the strain of yeast.

do you think there's any chance of saving this beer? I have 4 gallons of it left now with chunks of yeast cake floating in it. I will take any and all suggestions. according to an online chat with midwest supplies they tell me that it is still drinkable. should I wait it out in the carboys or should I do something radical like add fruit to it and make it a fruit beer?

Please HELP!

be patient. who knows what it will turn out tasting like, but it should be atleast safe to drink. Adding something may make it worse. I thought my beer was ruined twice, but it was not.

should I wait it out in the carboys or should I do something radical like add fruit to it and make it a fruit beer?

Patience brotha. If you have a secondary fermenter I would go ahead and rack it to that. If not, let it sit for a few more days and then put it in a refrigerator for about 24 hours. This is called cold-crashing and it should help any floaters sink to the bottom of your car boy.

Latest posts

Back