Buying hops in bulk...which varieties to choose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gritsak

Reaction score
I've got an opportunity to get a good deal on hops if i buy them in bulk, but being fairly new into brewing, i've only experimented with a few varieties. What would you'll recommend as hops that go well with several styles, i.e. are versatile? I'm probably going to buy about 3-4 different varieties, and about a 0.5-1.0 lbs of each.

I drink and brew mostly hoppy stuff, but i'd like to start brewing some porters and imperial stouts soon as well.

Any suggestions?

To get an idea of my flavor preferences, some of my favorite commercial IPA's are Bell's two hearted and Hopslam, Southern Tier Unearthly, Sierra Nevada Celebration, RR Pliny the elder...ect. ect.

Bells 2 hearted uses all centennial hops search for clones for all those beers on here and then youll know.

I like Goldings for porters and stouts but Fuggles or Willamette are good too (I like C hops for American Stout or Robust Porter, but not everyone does).

I am coming to the opinion that Simcoe aroma additions make for a more rounded hop character in IPAs. So I would want Simcoe for sure.

So maybe Fuggles or Goldings, Simcoe and Centennial for American Ales, and then if you go for a fourth either CTZ for a third dimension in your hoppy beers or a second citrusy hop (Amarillo, Cascade, Citra).

I bought 8 one pound bags of hops from hopsdirect.com for $92 including tax and shipping this fall. They were: columbus chinook cascade fuggles saaz willamette liberty and magnum. There's a lot of variety for aa cheap price. If I had to pick four it would be cascade liberty fuggles and willamette. But I'm not a total hophead, I like variety

Cascade hops (pellet form) on eBay for $6 a pound. I bought a pound, since I like IPA's. Best deal I've found.

I would also go for Fuggles too. Or any Noble hop.

Back