Ahhhh advice needed quickly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HangDawg

Reaction score
I order the big honking stout kit from northern brewers and there are 2 1oz packs of hops but the instructions are screwed and it says add the columbus hops at 60 and add the columbus hops at 1 minute. Well, there's columbus pellet and there's summit pellet. Which do you think should be bittering and which should be aroma/flavor? Summit is 18.5% Alpha and the Columbus is 13.5%

I would go with Columbus for bittering for sure, and Summit for aroma. Apparently Summit hops have a very strong aromo profile and from what I can tell on the internet and other recipe's summit can be used for Bitterning/aromo

That's just me though

I still steeping grains but if I don't get any response I'm going with the higher alpha to offset the huge amount of extract. Seems logical.

I'm the exact opposite of grimmy- Summit hops tend to be higher AA as well as a bit citrusy which you don't want in a stout. I'd use the summit for bittering and the columbus later on.

LS_Grimmy said:
I would go with Columbus for bittering and Summit for aroma

That's just me though

The summit definitely has more aroma. If it will result in a more malty brew, maybe that's a good thing. My wife doesn't like the bitter brews

Yooper Chick said:
I'm the exact opposite of grimmy- Summit hops tend to be higher AA as well as a bit citrusy which you don't want in a stout. I'd use the summit for bittering and the columbus later on.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh???????:D

Well, the summit was my first guess so I guess that's what I'll go with. I'm sure it will rock either way:rockin: This is my 3rd batch and I'll tell you what, I love making beer. I'm brewing whilst enjoying an awesome Scottish ale that will probably be the house brew.

Ooopps I found it. It says 1oz of summit at 60, .5 oz of columbus at 15 and .5 columbus at 1.

I could be wrong, but my thinking was 2 divide the first set of hops and put half in at the begenning of the boil, then the other half in the next time(2-5 minutes B4 the end)...

johnsmith098 said:
I could be wrong, but my thinking was 2 divide the first set of hops and put half in at the begenning of the boil, then the other half in the next time(2-5 minutes B4 the end)... If it says 1 oz on the pack and you split it- that= .05 or 1/2 oz.:drunk:
You're confusing me.

.05 = 1/2 ? hmm...I'm druck, but not that druck.

Latest posts

Back