New to cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmaster89

Reaction score
So I want to brew some cider this weekend and use a combo of a few recipes and just want to make sure I have this right. I am fairly new to the homebrew scene having only done 3 batches of beer. Two of which are still fermenting.

I was planning on using Dave's Carmel Apple Cider recipe and add a little honey to it also. Not sure how much I will determine that later.

My questions are how much yeast on average do you guys add? And also anything other little things I should know? I have been reading a lot about cider and have seen the horror stories about exploding bottles and pasteurizing the bottles and all that so I kind of know about that.

Sorry for the newb questions. I was also thinking about doing this one as well.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/caramel-apple-hard-cider-292770/

See which one I like better.

brewmaster89 said:
And do you guys ferment in a plastic bucket or do all of you guys use carboys?

I use a 55 gallon white HDPE barrel for my cider. I guess that's a big plastic bucket. After primary, I'll transfer to the carboys and let it sit in the basement for a couple months at about 50°F.

I get a yeast starter going in my 5 gallon carboy. Usually I used two packages of yeast to get it started. Just the little packages of white wine or champagne yeast is all.

Good luck!

I use a 6 gallon glass carboy but so many people use the 6-7 gallon food grade plastic bucket that I have no doubt those are fine. I usually let it sit about 3 weeks in the primary fermentor, then about 2 weeks in the secondary with some pectic enzyme to clear it up, but that's strictly optional.
As for yeast, most dry yeast packages are the correct size to add one pack for 5 gallons. Some of the wine yeasts, like Lalvin EC-1118 are smaller packs so you would add two. If in doubt, ask your LHBS.
If you want sweet, carbonated cider, follow the sticky on pasteurizing to a T, you can't go wrong.

I use a 6 gallon glass carboy but so many people use the 6-7 gallon food grade plastic bucket that I have no doubt those are fine. I usually let it sit about 3 weeks in the primary fermentor, then about 2 weeks in the secondary with some pectic enzyme to clear it up, but that's strictly optional.
As for yeast, most dry yeast packages are the correct size to add one pack for 5 gallons. Some of the wine yeasts, like Lalvin EC-1118 are smaller packs so you would add two. If in doubt, ask your LHBS.
If you want sweet, carbonated cider, follow the sticky on pasteurizing to a T, you can't go wrong.

Thanks for the info! I plan to follow the pasteurizing sticky. I already have that bookmarked and have read it a few times already.

Latest posts

Back