Suggestions for a Honey Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nahowa111

Reaction score
I'm wanting to make a beer using honey. Do any of you guys have a suggestion for a good style to start with? I was thinking a APA, but I don't know if that would be too citrusy.

A standard APA may indeed be too citrusy. I would suggest a honey nut brown; or a pilsner or golden. The next beer I plan to do with honey is probably going to be a pilsner so I can enter it I the country fair in the summer.

We have brewed a Wheat very successfully with anywhere from 1-2 lbs of honey and it's been delicious! Definitely a neighborhood favorite

+1 on the wheat. I have talked to a few of the local pro's and they have great results adding it to the mash. I have been adding it at Flameout but I'm going to try in the mash next time.

You can also use honey malt which will give you more actual honey flavor than honey. Use this stuff pretty sparingly though- 1/4 to 1/2 a lb total. The honey malt is super sweet and very potent.

If you are looking for honey flavor try some honey malt. Honey is highly fermentable and will not add any flavor. It will just boost the alcohol content.

Latest posts

Back