Whats more Awful Tofu or Belgian Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is more Awful? Tofu? or Belgian Beers?

• Tofu?

• Belgian Beers?

• Neither! Tofu Dubbel anyone?

• Both are equally repulsive.

• Ralph Nader

Results are only viewable after voting.
Not only do I like Belgian beer and tofu and cauliflower, I also like St. Louis lambic and saltines. Liking is good.

You guys can get banned for even mentioning those @sshats in the beer discussion part of the forum

And yet, you're missing out just as much as the haters.

Without a doubt, it's worth putting the work in to condition your palate and learn to appreciate Belgian beer. And yes, many people don't realize, but with a bit of work you CAN learn to appreciate previously unappreciated tastes. And to a surprisingly extreme degree too... it's very possible to learn to absolutely love stuff that you previously considered awful.

I'll make up an imperial dorian blonde if you promise to learn to like it. ;)

One thing that strikes me as funny, is that to me, saying "I don't like Belgian beers" is like saying "I don't like breakfast foods". I mean are we talking corn flakes, waffles, greasy sausages, or what? Belgians span such a huge variety of styles and tastes, I don't see liking them all or hating them all. Personally I love Flanders reds and Oud Bruins. Tripels, Quads, and most Trappist styles you can keep.

madbaldman said:
One thing that strikes me as funny, is that to me, saying "I don't like Belgian beers" is like saying "I don't like breakfast foods". I mean are we talking corn flakes, waffles, greasy sausages, or what? Belgians span such a huge variety of styles and tastes, I don't see liking them all or hating them all. Personally I love Flanders reds and Oud Bruins. Tripels, Quads, and most Trappist styles you can keep.

People all the time don't like let's say Mexican or Chinese food.

For me I can't stand the yeast taste or clover or banana.

Misfit said:

Ya mean Clove? Yeah I think that's a good point though. I can buy that. 99% of belgians have that prominent yeast flavor. I don't dig on lagers I am sure some people would look at me just as crazy.

Beezy said:
I don't dig on lagers I am sure some people would look at me just as crazy.

I likes lagered beers, such as the kolsch that I just brewed, (not fermented at lager temps though) however I don't care for "lagers". Its not the presence of a taste that I dislike, just more of an absence of flavors I do like.

Ask someone who says they don't like Chinese food what Chinese food they have tried so far. Did they base their judgment on the local delivery joint or buffet? Have they tried a broad variety of authentic Chinese food? Have they sampled Hunan dim sum? Fiery and pungent Sichuan offerings? Delicate seafood dishes of Fujian? The point is there is no such "Chinese food" anymore than there is "American food". Is Southern country fried steak with gravy anything like Maine lobster? Should a wit be considered in the same category as an oud bruin? "Belgian beer" doesn't refer to a style, but a broad set of styles. If you've sampled the spectrum of Belgian beers and haven't found one you like, then fine, you don't like Belgian beers. But how many people who say they don't like Belgian beers have invested the time and money to really get into them? Don't get me wrong, I'm no devotee of Belgian beers. I've dislike more than I have liked, but I loved more than a few. I just don't understand dismissing an entire world of beer based on a few samples.

madbaldman said:
Ask someone who says they don't like Chinese food what Chinese food they have tried so far.

I've only met 2 people who have said they don't like chinese food, and it turned out what they both meant was they don't like rice. And they both have IQ hovering somewhere in the 50s. I don't even think the northern part of China eats that much rice, they grow wheat up there and eat mostly noodles. Furthermore, "authentic" Chinese food is about as easy to find in the US as a virgin in a whore house. General Lees chicken. Mongolian beef. Lame...

With the Mexican example maybe you can't stand Cilantro or don't like Cumin maybe. You are kinda out on Mexican food. Belgians are the same. Maybe you use an American yeast in a double and all of a sudden they like it but it's not really a Belgian if you take out the yeast.

raven11356 said:
trappest triples, stella, leffe? what are you talking about dude?

I bought a bottle of Stella a few days ago for some reason... I poured it into a pint glass, took a few drinks, pondered its amazing triple filtered clarity and lack of flavor, and gave it to the wife. She liked it :)

I find it funny people try to tell others what to like. I have tried many belgians. I want to like them. I just don't. I can;t describe it. If someone is buying or offering I will accept. But if I am paying for it I am not buy or brewing Belgians - sorry.

I just don't understand dismissing an entire world of beer based on a few samples.

Not an entire world. Just one country.

bottlebomber said:
I've only met 2 people who have said they don't like chinese food, and it turned out what they both meant was they don't like rice. And they both have IQ hovering somewhere in the 50s. I don't even think the northern part of China eats that much rice, they grow wheat up there and eat mostly noodles. Furthermore, "authentic" Chinese food is about as easy to find in the US as a virgin in a whore house. General Lees chicken. Mongolian beef. Lame...

Do they serve General Lees chicken in Hazzard County?

Seriously though, "belgian beers" is a wide variety of beer. Buying the "Beers of Belgium" variety pack at Costco and saying "i hate belgians" doesnt count, imho. If you run through every true belgian style and still say you dont like belgians, then thats pretty valid. I doubt most of us can say that though.

Also, different breweries make different beers. Saison Dupont, considered by some to be the best saison, doesn't appeal to me. But give me a Capt. lawrence Saison, and i'm happy. It would disappoint me greatly to hear that theirs anyone whose had all 3 Chimays and didnt enjoy at least one. But no one cares about my opinion, so to each his own. I cant say I like or dislike belgians because there are some I like and some I don't

I enjoy both. Tofu is good when prepared correctly, though I prefer tempeh most of the time, and Belgian-style beers are largely some of my favorites.

Misfit said:

Funny how you never hear it from a chinese or mexican. Chances are those people never had GOOD mexican or chinese food.

Do they serve General Lees chicken in Hazzard County?

Seriously though, "belgian beers" is a wide variety of beer. Buying the "Beers of Belgium" variety pack at Costco and saying "i hate belgians" doesnt count, imho. If you run through every true belgian style and still say you dont like belgians, then thats pretty valid. I doubt most of us can say that though.

Also, different breweries make different beers. Saison Dupont, considered by some to be the best saison, doesn't appeal to me. But give me a Capt. lawrence Saison, and i'm happy. It would disappoint me greatly to hear that theirs anyone whose had all 3 Chimays and didnt enjoy at least one. But no one cares about my opinion, so to each his own. I cant say I like or dislike belgians because there are some I like and some I don't
Just wanted to say I care. also i like all 3 chimay's especially cinque cent I agree saison dupont isn't great but isn't capt lawrence made here in New York? does that still count as a belgian or just a belgian style?

Just wanted to say I care. also i like all 3 chimay's especially cinque cent I agree saison dupont isn't great but isn't capt lawrence made here in New York? does that still count as a belgian or just a belgian style?

Thank you for caring. I also like all 3, and cinq cents (white) is also my favorite. Capt lawrence certainly is brewed in NY, but I'm talking about styles. To me, it doesn't make sense for people to say "I don't like belgians" because it's such a broad spectrum. It's like saying "I don't like germans". There are so many different styles of german beer. Or saying "I don't like wheats". Look at your basic wheat beer. There are German, American, and Belgian wheat beers and they all taste nothing alike. I'm not trying to tell people what to like, but maybe "I haven't tasted a Belgian beer I like" is a better way to say it.

Ok now seriously guys... this doesn't look like something delicious happening? :mug: :D

310px-Timmermans.jpg

I have a 5gal version of that going on in my cold cellar right now :mug:

It does kind of look like the beer I picture zombies drinking... emjay you are too spoiled

Latest posts

Back