Is it bad to secondary before active fermentation ends?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer is good

Reaction score
Hello my best friends and most helpful people on the whole internet!!!!!!!!!

I have a silly little question about beer!

I am fermenting some american lager (with lager yeast) at 55f, I know this might not be optimal but I dont have a freezer... anyway, it has been in there a week and I dont think the bubbling has stopped yet...

but I need the primary to make another batch tonight... if I move it to the secondary before it is finished will it mess up the beer? can the yeast continue to ferment after I move it?

Thanks friendly buddies!!!!!!!!! :ban: :mug:

I know you're kinda focused on getting the next batch in the primary but have you considered the fact that your secondary is going to be occupied for quite some time as you "lager" the previous batch? I suppose you could skip the secondary on your new batch, but I don't think you want to put your lager in the bottles in a week or two.

It will continue fermenting after racking & it won't mess up your lager. As was pointed out, the lager will tie up your secondary a long time. You'll need another container anyway, why not just get it now?

I have a few 5 gallon carboys for secondary fermentation, I only have one 6.5 that I use for primary fermentation... thats why I didn't buy another one :)

I dont wanna blow all that yummy krausen off! :)

thanks buddies, racking tonight it will be! :ban:

Back