fermentation stopped...used a starter...??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanigav7

Reaction score
I'm on my 3rd batch of brew. First one turned out great but it was from a hopped can of malt so I didn't do much. Second one was hit and miss in the bottles so I gave up on it. This 3rd batch is an American Wheat from Northern Brewer. I made a yeast starter for this one. The starter went well. When I dumped it into my fermenter after brewing, I kept the bucket in the laundry room overnight and I saw bubbles the next morning. Nothing furious, but steady. I might also mention that I built a fermentation chamber and this is my first time using it. I put the bucket in the chamber and set the temp at 67 degrees. It's been in there since Monday morning, so 2 days. Bubbles have since practically stopped. I sat and stared at it for 3-5 minutes and nothing. Is this normal? Fermention can't be done, can it? Should I wait? I'm getting more frustrated than having fun with my beer brewing...

Yep, could be "done".

#1: I'm sure you've heard this a million times but airlock activity is not an indicator of fermentation.

#2: Typically with a starter the yeast are charged up and all ready to go when you pitch them so they go crazy. Just wait another 5-7 days then take a gravity reading.

You're getting frustrated over nothing. RDWHAHB

Under optimal condition, fermentation can complete in 2-3 days. My batches usually bubble like crazy (or blow off) for the first day and light bubbling the second day and by the third day it's pretty much all over. If you're worried, you could take a gravity reading and see where things are at. If the gravity is too high, pitch some more yeast. I would say that chances are that everything is fine.

Not that unusual. The way to be sure is get a gravity reading. Check it two days in a row for stability. If it is the same for a few days, check it against what you expected to land at. Northern brewer kits don't give a target final gravity (I don't think) but it could be calculated. I use Beersmith, but there are other programs. It is totally possible that it is stable at the expected final gravity. If so, great. Transfer to seconday or wait and bottle, depending on your equipment and preference. Otherwise, If you are still far from your target, then you may have a slight issue. Sometimes giving the fermenter a gentle swirl and/or raising the temp can unstuck a fermentation. Alternatively, I've read that you can do it with another starter, but that is probably not necessary.

Back