When to replace my equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruiz54

Reaction score
Hi Guys. I just wnated to ask a few questions about equipment and sanitization after I notice 2 of my brews had a very slight off tast. I have not replaced any of my houses or syphoning tubes sicne I started brewing 8 months ago. I am very good about making sure everything I use is clean and santized before it comes into contact with my wort. Never the less the hoses I am using are starting to get stains. I sanatize them before and after use and I even stick them into boiling water for good mesure. Can bacteria even servive boiling water? DO I need to replace my hoses and auto syphon? Also on another note I accidently scratached the inside of one of my glass fermenters, should I throw it out too? Well thanks guys.

I replace hoses fairly often. If they are stained, then replace them. I would keep a bulk supply of the hoses that you may need. Then you can cut some off when the others get stained.

I have not replaced my autosiphon in 5 years of brewing. It does not have any stains. I would not worry about the scratch as long as you can see it is clean.

my auto-siphon will turn 11 this year. but tubing i replace annually.

how the heck did you scratch the inside of a carboy??

describe the off flavor. it may be related to how you brew or your water, and not the equipment/an infection (even municiple water supply's change)

It sounds like you are doing a decent job of cleaning and sanitizing your equipment.

Are you being equally careful about rinsing excess sanitizer off your gear before you use it?

Chlorine bleach residue can react with your wort to form some nasty tasting and smelling compounds that you definitely do not want in your beer.

My bottle brush is a little worn down and I did not notice that it was worn till it scratched the inside of the carboy :( So hard plastic tubing is ok its soft tubbing that gets stains and alike. hmmm. I use star san or on occasion Iodopher. As for off tast I would have to say a little cidery or very slightly on the young beer side of things though it was aged very properly. It was a brown ale too. LOL my darn unicorn. No matter how hard I try I cant seem to make one I really loke though I enjoy commercial brown ale.

Latest posts

Back