priming with Honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dexter_craig

Reaction score
Any thoughts on priming with honey.
I have a Newcastle clone in primary now and want to try honey.
Tips, suggestions anyone.

I primed with honey a few batches ago. I found that it did not take any longer to carb the beer than using corn sugar and I was happy with the results. I know that many on the forum advise against using honey but I did not have any problems.

It was a pale ale that I used it in and it definently left a honey taste in the beer. For my pale it was not what I was going for originally but it ended up being a rather nice and tasty brew. If you are trying for a true Newcastle clone I would use corn sugar. But if you want something along the lines of a honey brown give it a shot.

Cheers

It wil hardly be a NCBA clone with honey.

Why not brew the NCBA as is then do another batch with the honey.
Have you tried an honey Ale? Did you like it?

Adding honey at the begining will dry out the beer and leave little honey flavour. The honey is almost 100% fermentable like sugar.

I'd add it after primary fermentation.

The NCBA is my first batch. I was just pondering the honey thing. I am most worried about contamination if I use it as a prime. I plan on a IPA next.

honey can contain wild spores, but bacteria is highly unlikely. at this point honey would be ok for priming, though I'd still heat it to about 160F for 10 minutes to pasteurize it.

the 3/4 cup of honey you'll use really isn't going to impart much honey aroma or flavor at this point though.

From the new Home Brewer's Answer Book from BYO, (a great reference to have around) honey has about 25% water and 75% solids, mostly sugar. A 1.31 ratio of honey to corn sugar is suggested for substitution.

Back