Drop temp to clear beer for last week of fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polkbar

Reaction score
Have a saison fermenting with 3711 french saison yeast. After 2 weeks, it's down to ~1.005 and the krausen has dropped. I kept it at 68 degrees for the first week and brought it up to 72 for the second week. OG was ~ 1.06. I used only pilsen LME and 1lb sugar. I'm pretty sure the LME has some carapils in it.

My plan is to dry hop in primary for one week and then bottle. But I'm not sure whether I should drop the temp down during this last week.

I could (1) let it drop to ambient, which hovers ~60 deg., (2) put my fish tank heater on the lowest setting, which is ~65 deg., or (3) keep it at 72.

I'd like to get it as clear as I can in this time, but I care more about taste than appearance. Is there a risk that too much yeast will drop out at 60 deg. adversely impacting my bottle conditioning? Should I worry about the possibility that the yeast may still have a couple points left and dropping the temp could prevent this and create bottle bombs down the road?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

-Paul

. . . . I'd like to get it as clear as I can in this time, but I care more about taste than appearance. Is there a risk that too much yeast will drop out at 60 deg. adversely impacting my bottle conditioning? Should I worry about the possibility that the yeast may still have a couple points left and dropping the temp could prevent this and create bottle bombs down the road?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

-Paul

No problem with yeast dropping out at 60F, I cold condition some beers at 36F and still have plenty of yeast in suspension for carbing/conditioning.:mug:

Back