20 hours and no activity yet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrettV

Reaction score
Should I be concerned? It's an NB Irish red kit; did everything correctly; OG came in at 1.055 as it should have. Only variable was that the yeast I used (Wyeast American Ale II) was started several weeks ago and I wasn't able to brew. The community told me to stick it in the fridge, and let it sleep til I needed it. I stored it in a bomber with foil wrapped around the top. I pulled it out before I started brew day, and when it was time to pitch I decanted the liquid on top, swirled it a little to get all the yeasties off the bottom and pitched them at 68 degrees. Is it because they were sleeping so long that there's such a lag, or should I run out and get new yeast? How much longer should I wait? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: By no activity I mean no airlock activity and no foam. I am fermenting in a 6-gallon plastic carboy.

Revvy will soon convince you that everything is fine and refer you to numerous other threads with this exact same topic. RDWHAHB.

Boleslaus said:
Revvy will soon convince you that everything is fine and refer you to numerous other threads with this exact same topic. RDWHAHB.

Of course you could have done it yourself, and saved me having to search for a previous answer of mine.. ;)

Most importantly... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/, and by visible signs we don't necessarily mean a bubbling airlock.
It IS a sticky at the top of the beginners forum for a reason, afterall. ;)

Wait 72 hours and take a hydro reading.. And you'll find that you worried for nothing. :D

I humbly apologize for not seeing the sticky, and posting a redundant thread. :drunk:

I would think there has to be some sort of script the mods can run the searches for key words like "no activity" "Fermenation" "x Hours" whenever someone starts a thread, and have a canned response from revvy show up. All these responses are taking away from his brewing time.

I would think there has to be some sort of script the mods can run the searches for key words like "no activity" "Fermenation" "x Hours" whenever someone starts a thread, and have a canned response from revvy show up. All these responses are taking away from his brewing time.

No, doctor's appointments and work have taken away from my brewing time...Since I'm at work, and in front of a computer all day, that's where the answering happens...but it would be nice if folks looked at the 5-10 other "no fermentation" threads that are posted in the same section at any given moment, before they posted...it would seem to save them having to freakout...I mean that's how I did it when I started out, when I was freaked out, before I even began posting I looked and saw the "experts" telling us noobs to rdwhahb for the same thing I was wondering, so I figured if that was the answer for them, it wouldn't be any different for me, so I did Relax and have a beer...and it worked... *shrug*

Back