Checking bottle corbonation w/o opening?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pingwin77

Reaction score
Is there a way to check and make sure your bottles are carbonating with out having to open them? I am making 6 packs of beer for gifts and do not have any extras to test.

I'm hoping this can be done by simply shaking the bottle or something. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I don't think there's any other way to know than to open one. Don't shake the bottles, it's just going to disturb the yeast layer on the bottom. How long have they been carbing up, and at what temperature?

No, not with glass bottles.

Plastic bottles can be squeezed to determine pressure levels.

There are folks on there who have sworn that a carbonated bottle makes a different sound when you thump it with a fingernail as compared to an uncarbonated. I haven't tried it myself so I can't say it's true or not.

In that case, how long does it normally take given the environment I mentioned above? I have always thought the time was about 4 weeks. This could mean I have 2 batches or beer ready to drink! Woo Hoo!

In that case, how long does it normally take given the environment I mentioned above? I have always thought the time was about 4 weeks. This could mean I have 2 batches or beer ready to drink! Woo Hoo!

On this site, you'll get a lot of suggestions to bottle condition for a minimum of 3 weeks at 70F. That is a very safe minimum, and misses one of the most important aspects of carbonation. CO2 dissolves into water better at lower temperatures. 2 weeks at 70F in the bottle is plenty of time as long as the last two days are in the refrigerator (40F or lower). Since you don't have it at the full 70, a third week would not hurt, and with a fourth week, you will be absolutely fine unless you made some huge mistake...

its ready when its ready. i've had beers carb decently in a week or less. I've had em take 5 weeks to carb too.

taking aging/conditioning into account, 3 weeks at 70F is just a nice average guideline where you should have carbonation and the beer shouldn't be as 'green' anymore.

the real key is brewing well in advance so you always have beer on hand :)

Back