Safe to use Heat Blanket with Temp Control?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a lacto starter that I'm having trouble keeping warm enough (95-100) and I'm wondering if this will work. I have the starter in a half gallon growler and I wrapped a regular old heat blanket around it but hooked it to a digital temp controller.

Do you think this will be ok? I've been monitoring it and it is shutting off and turning on just like my fridge would. Any reason this would be unsafe? I would never just let the heat blanket run non-stop for days on end, but I figure with the temp controller it will be ok. Anyone disagree?

Thoughts?

I doubt it will be a problem if you are using safe wiring practices. It's what you have and can use... For something small like starter's I'ld look into an Aquarium heater in a tub of water. I think it will be a much more stable.
I am planning to use a blanket+controller myself this winter (didn't need it this past winter) for buckets/carboys.

I used to do this but always made me nervous leaving it unsupervised. I stopped
When I read someone posting on here about his catching on fire and melting down his fridge. The blankets and heat wraps do get a bit warm sometimes. However you should look into lizard tank warmers at local pet stores these are designed to stay on 24/7 and can provide just enough heat for your starter

Latest posts

Back