Skipping 2nd fermintation carboy--straight to keg. Couple newb questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cswann821

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just wanted some re-assurance on a plan of mine.

First off... I am still getting into brewing and am only on my 2nd batch. My first 5gal batch was great. I brewed a Hef-Weizen from northern brewers. Fermented for about 2 weeks, and let it set in a secondary for about 3 more weeks before keging it and tap.
Anways my second time around I decide to go quantity, brewing 5 gal of carabou slobber, 5 gal irish ale, and 5 gal honey weizen. They have been in the fermentaion carboy since the 9th of January. I am out of spare carboy's to place any of them into a secondary. Is it fine to just place them in my 3 Corny Kegs, purge the air out with the CO2 and just let it set in their to age, or drink in about a week or so? I'm plaing of just lifting my carboys, up ...letting it set so that any debri can settle and just siphon to the corny.

This is all. Plan sounds good to me. just wanted re-assurance on the whole importance or unimportance of useing a secondary...and how long these can sit in a corny refridgerated...or not?

Thats all, Thanks.... Chris.

Sounds good. Three weeks in the primary is fine. The only reason you would have to use a secondary is if you need the beer to settle out further. Your beer will settle out in the cooler as well. Taking a gravity reading with your hydrometer will give you a definitive answer weather or not your beer is done fermenting but typically three weeks is plenty of time. I haven't used a secondary in a long time...the only reason I use one now is to dry hop.....or lager a beer so I don't tie up one of my cornies for a couple months while I age the lager. Your plan sounds just fine.

I don't even use a secondary for dry hopping right into the primary they go about four days in right after peak fermentation to help scrub out any o2 in the hops. Most secondary are use too clear beer so if that's your goal kegs make the best secondary's/priming tank. Dedicate a keg cut the dip tube about a inch from bottom. Transfer beer after fermentation is done. Put in fridge for couple days and transfer to another keg without moving it. That's my method.

Latest posts

Back