The cure for that slight tang in your FINISHED beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjj2ba

Look under the recliner
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, we've all been there. You've bottled/kegged up your beer and it was of course a righteous brew, but a month later you notice a slight tang to it. As more time goes on it is getting progessively stonger. It is still drinkable, but not fully enjoyable. Most of us just tough it out and drink it up.

Well I've got the answer to all your ills. Just $5 for the 2ba's magic solution................ Well actually all it takes is a pinch of baking soda (~1/8 tsp). I've got a porter that's been on tap for just over two months now and it has developed the dreaded tang (slight lactobacillus infection). I wondered if since the infection is resulting in extra acid, lowering the pH, then maybe if I raised the pH, that would improve the flavor. I'm happy to report, that this indeed is the case. I just took a pinch of baking soda and put it in my glass, added a tiny bit of water to dissolve it (too avoid excessive foaming), and then poured my pint. Night and Day difference!!!!! I got my pH meter out and the untreated beer had a pH of 3.8, and after treating, the pH was 5.5 and very tasty.

You don't want to go to heavy on the baking soda as it's own minerally flavor can be too much. It is better to add too little, you can always add more to taste.

I have not yet tried it on another beer. Maybe it won't work as well on paler beers. I've actually got a sour beer (intentional) on tap. I'll have to see what happen with that one.

Great idea! I have a few of those brews at home! Would love to try it out and maybe I will reach for them instead of Sam!

Wait, I thought beer always got better over time?

Seriously though, 5.5 is really high for a finished beer pH.

I add the baking soda to the boil, yes it works wonders and would certainly be more consistent than added to the glass!;)

Been noticing that tang in a cream ale that's been in the keezer for about a month and a half now. Didn't know that it was from an infection. It's been getting worse and worse so this does make sense, going to give the bs a try and if not I'm going to dump it. Anyone know what might cause this type of infection?

Anyone know what might cause this type of infection?

Getting grain dust in your beer is a common environmental cause. Lacto doesn't like alcohol much, so I play it safe by brewing everything at OG 1.060 or higher! :cross:
:mug:

Back