Whats the longest you've left in carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jah

Reaction score
I had to go out of the country without notice for 2 months and upon return I expected the 4 brews i had in various stages to be ruined. they look normal and smell just fine. the longest is a leffe blonde clone and it has been in secondary for about 3 months. i have a double chocolate raspberry stout in secondary for about 2.5, apfelwein in primary for about 2 and ed's haus pale ale in primary for about the same. what are your thoughts on this? should it still be ok? whats the longest anyone has left their brews in the carboys with great results?

You should be fine for all those...

I'll refer you to John Palmer, before the "autolysis" fraidy cats jump in.

I should mention that by brewing with healthy yeast in a well-prepared wort, many experienced brewers, myself included, have been able to leave a beer in the primary fermenter for several months without any evidence of autolysis.

As long as the airlocks were in tact, I'm sure you are fine, and will have really crystal clear beers/wines....

Well, the apfelwein is absolutely fine...you could leave it in longer if you want.

I'm betting the beers are fine too, especially those in secondary. While I've never experienced autolysis, I've read that it smells absolutely awful and is quite unmistakable. So if it all smells fine, start bottling!

Latest posts

Back