switch monitoring question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mk010101

Reaction score
Maybe this isn't the forum to post here, but perhaps someone here knows some information to help. I have the temp controller thing on my fridge and would love to know how often it cycles at certain temps. Is there a timer or counter that I can install that can keep track of that? I tried googling it, but I don't seem to know what to call it.

there is many ways to do data logging, but there is no off-the-shelf product that is going to tell you this without doing any work yourself. are you familiar with electronics at all? how much of a DIYer are you?

not much with electronics and not a huge DYIer, unless I can do a project within a reasonable amount of time. not opposed to fixing something up, but I need something that can keep track of how often it cycles because I cannot be there to watch it.

that would only be able to tell you how much total power was used, and by that, how long total it was on. you wouldnt be able to tell how many times it cycled on and off.

there are 1001 ways to do this, but personally i would use a microcontroller like an arduino board and a few parts from my junk parts pile. hook a relay with a 120v coil up to the compressor in parrallel so it triggered whenever the compressor kicked on, and then have the arduino record how many times the relay closed (or opened).

or- you can put a decent digital temp probe in there and log the data every few seconds (again, i would use an arduino and a DS18B20 temp sensor because i have them laying around). when you graph the data you will see a distinct saw-tooth pattern. count the number of 'teeth'- thats how many times it turned on/off.

that's sounds interesting. I'll look into a data logger like that. otherwise, I may have to come up with a sort of contraption like audger suggested. Thanks to all who made suggestions.

Latest posts

Back