another way to grow more hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k1v1116

Reaction score
To start I know the usual way to grow more hops is to make a cutting of the rhizome.

So earlier this spring when I was clipping the excess bines from my fuggle hops I though wouldnt it be nice if I could grow another plant from the clipping, I know a lot of plants will grow from small cuttings off the top of the plant. so I took one of the bines I clipped off and stuck it into the ground at the edge of my garden. I guess I didnt really expect anything to happen and at first it just appeared to die back but now its sending up new shoots and growing more leaves. So it looks like every time I clip off a healthy bine in the spring I can just plant it until my yard fills up with hops.

Did anyone else know this? I was told you could only propagate hops by rhizome cutting.

222007re8.jpg

222008tl5.jpg

So wait, you cut off a growing point and then buried it? Or just put the cut end in the ground and left the rest above ground?

I just put the cut end about an inch into the ground with most of the bines Ive cut off and more than half of them after dying back a little have started growing.

if you take a jar and line it with a damp paper towel and then shove the piece of plant between the paper towel and jar it will work well just make sure to keep the towel wet at all times and it will begin to root and then you plant it

Thanks for sharing, I might just try this to get some more growth on my surviving plant.

Latest posts

Back