Lost beer...lost cause?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

locuomotion

Reaction score
In the process of my first batch and wanted to get some opinions as to whether or not I may have ruined the batch.

Fermentation in primary went quick...4 days and it was done. I tested with hydrometer and the measurements didn't change for 3 straight days. So, I was going to move to secondary fermenter to free up my primary for another batch. Used auto-siphon. Things were going well until there was approximately 1 gallon left in the primary...then I lost power in the siphon and was having a difficult time getting it back. (Learned that the 3 foot siphon tube that came with my kit is about half as what I should have had). Regardless, I found that as I was trying to get the siphon going again, I was creating more oxygen than beer was going into the secondary. So, I made the executive decision to stop trying to salvage the last gallon or so from the primary and just go with the 4 or so gallons that I moved to the secondary.

A couple questions - do you think the beer has come in contact with too much oxygen (through the siphon process and/or the extra head space in my 5 gallon plastic carboy secondary)?
How much priming sugar should I use when I am ready to bottle the "beer"?

Thanks for your help!

I think the beer will be fine. You might want to invest in a second fermenter, plastic buckets work great and are cheap, so you do not have to move to a secondary. Just go to MrMalty.com and use the priming caluculator set it for 4 gal and it will let you know how much sugar you need.

I think you will be fine, from what I can tell from your post, only a small amount of air would of contacted the beer in comparason to what had gone through the tube already.
Dont take my word as advice, Im a noob and feel your pain :mug:

RDWHAHB, the beer should be fine. As for priming, .75-1oz priming sugar per finished gallon of beer is a good rule of thumb. Always measure by weight as it is more accurate than measuring by volume.

Don't sweat it. The extra head space isn't going to do anything, but the siphon bubbles may have. The trick to fixing a siphon once some air gets in the line is to squeeze the part of the tube that has bubbles in it. This will make the flow rate faster at that spot and it will wash the air down the line instead of creating constant cavitation that oxygenates more beer.

Back