Love Controller or 'other' thermostat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awarner322

Reaction score
Which does everyone prefer? I like the looks of the love controller mounted right into the side of the freezer...but don't know much else about either of them...my keezer build is to the point where i have to make a decision (fast)! Anyone have any input?

I have numerous love digital temperature controllers, different models. They have gone up in price, but I still buy them when I need them. They have all the functionality I need, plus more, and you can buy different probes of different lengths to fit your needs.

There are cheaper controllers out there, but there are a lot of brewers that are using the love controllers, and we can help you wire it up if you need help.

They simply just work for me, and I prefer to use them over a different manufacturer. I just wish they were cheaper, or at least the same price they used to be years ago (around $50 dollars).

I have a few TS2 models. That seems like a good price, but I believe you will need to purchase the probe separately.

I have both pvc sheathed probes, and stainless sheathed probes, as well as the shorter lengths for use in my chest freezers, as well as the longer lengths used in my walk-in cooler.

There are a number of good posts on the forum here with clear diagrams on how to wire these up. There are also members here that have a much better understanding of these than me (especially with different models from different years, and dual controllers, etc.).

ETA - here is a thread I just found with some good diagrams. If you need more help than this, just let us know, and I am sure we can get you squared away!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/love-temp-controller-series-ts-wiring-diagram-2008-a-88369/

Ok thanks...so besides the probe is there anything else would need to get up and running? Wires? Also what probe would you suggest? Excuse me for bring so clueless :(

i recently built a keezer using the love ts-3 with standard ts-1 probe

order total came to just under $55 through Pemro distribution

i bought a heavy duty extension cord to use for the wiring and a foot of each 3 color wire to use for jumpers etc although didn't need all 3 - throw in some wire nuts and e-tape and you are set

this was the best wiring diagram for the ts3 model that i could find
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90592

here it is mounted etc
37991d1320775535-show-us-your-kegerator-mj-keezer-sm.jpg

That TS3 looks nice!

Yes, you will want to purchase an extension cord to cut up for this project - don't butcher the oem cord that came with the appliance.

As for probe, the standard probe with pvc sheathing should be fine with the shorter length. I only needed stainless and longer for my walk-in because I had to route the probe through the wall and insulation, and I leave it submersed in gel inside the walk-in cooler - I felt much more comfortable using stainless over plastic for this.

I know you didn't ask about this - but I highly recommend stainless hardware and forward sealing faucets if you can afford it. I personally started with chrome plated and rear-sealing, and eventually had to replace all the serving hardware.

That should do it. I have that exact setup for two of my chest freezers.

Back