Help-Outside kegerator too cold tonight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmchair

Reaction score
What can I do to keep my beer from freezing in my outdoor kegerator? I am in Florida, so I don't know anything about how to counter the freezing temps. any ideas? I got a 4 corny operation, too big to drag inside. It is supposed to dip into the high 20s for a week.

Will it be above freezing during the day? If it is only a few degrees below freezing for a short time the frig will act as an insulated cabinet. If your beer is at 40 deg and the outside temp is say 28, I bet it would take days to freeze. But if you are really worried put a light bulb in the frig. 15watt would be plenty.

Beer has some built in antifreeze. ;) I've got beer out in my unheated garage right now and it's fine. Your tower and taps might freeze though.

It's a hopeless situation. You'll have to drink it all before nightfall.

I used to have the same issue this time of year. I got a secondary temp controller through Williams and a heater pad that works with the controller. The pad sticks to the inside wall of my chest freezer kegerator and works perfectly. When the weather warms up and you don't need it anymore, just switch two jumpers inside the control box and your back to cooling mode.

With high 20's, I would bet that it will only be for a few hours at most each late night/early morning.

My vote is to leave it all be. Ironically, I believe that its cooling performance might be impacted by the cold temps. I've heard that refrigerators and freezers are designed to have their coolant work at household temps, not at freezing. So even though it is cold outside, the freezer/fridge wont be able to cool much beyond ambient because it all requires a wider temperature differential.

That last paragraph may be complete bull****, but it makes sense to me :)

I'm in Kentucky, my keezer is in the garage. Unless you're looking at long term subfreezing temperatures, don't worry about it. Until the ice caps melt and the gulf stream stops, your kegs won't freeze.

With high 20's, I would bet that it will only be for a few hours at most each late night/early morning.

My vote is to leave it all be. Ironically, I believe that its cooling performance might be impacted by the cold temps. I've heard that refrigerators and freezers are designed to have their coolant work at household temps, not at freezing. So even though it is cold outside, the freezer/fridge wont be able to cool much beyond ambient because it all requires a wider temperature differential.

That last paragraph may be complete bull****, but it makes sense to me :)

No, I don't think that's true. That is for heat pumps.

Thanks, I am working on drinking it down, but I am only 1/40 of the way there- should be done by 2011 though- well before the calamity strikes.

Latest posts

Back