fastest fermentation i've seen...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtakacs

Reaction score
pitched a 1.099 barleywine on the yeast cake from a pale ale (made specifically for the barleywine - US-05)

fermentation took off like a rocket literally within minutes, went ballistic and calmed down after two days. checked gravity on day 3, 1.022 (1.024 projected)...

whoa. beer tastes awesome too... :ban:

Damn, I think you just arrived in beer eutopia! It may go a bit more though.

Agreed, don't dispose of good practice now. Take gravity readings over time make sure it's done. US-05 always attenuates more than calculated for me.

I've had this happen with half a yeast cake from a bitter I brewed. I pitched a barleywine wort on top of it using 1028 yeast. The barleywine went from 1.103 to 1.022 in 6 days at 62 deg. Beer is now 4 months old and tastes fantastic. The first time I did this I used US-05 dry yeast, same wort, 3 packets and it took nearly 2 weeks, your US-05 was lively from the prior ferment! Kudos.

Jtakacs, I actually just did the same last weekend. Citra Pale (og 1065), US05, to make the yeast cake. Then the bw.
But when I left my house yesterday (on the road now) my originally 1100 wort was still gently bubbling through the blow-off. So mine is taking longer. Aerated (pump with stone) for thirty minutes, a tspn of yeast nutrient at 15.
Wonder if I did something wrong?
I ask because I am following the same grain bill and hop schedule this weekend with the Wyeast High Gravity Trappist yeast as a fun comparison.

Funny that I read this thread today. I brewed a Blonde Ale Saturday morning and pitched Safale04 dry yeast. Sunday night it was vigorously bubbling and even had a little foam in the blow off tube. Got home from work today and was surprised to see that the Krausen has already fallen and there is very little bubbling going on. I didn't expect everything to happen this fast. I also brewed a Pale Ale on Friday night and pitched Safale05 and it is still chugging along. Nice thick Krausen and lots of activity.

mine won't go anywhere anytime soon except in a barrel tomorrow night for a nice long nap... ahhh...

I brewed 10g of pale ale last thursday, pitched 1.5 packets of s-04 in each 5g carboy. I was worried about the temp in my cold basement but they were 60F after cooling so I pitched, then wrapped them up in astrofoil. They stayed steady at 60F, but even though they were fitted with blow offs they never krausened. I assumed a long ferment, because 60F is the bottom temp range for s-04. My bubbling slowed to a stop (almost) and I pulled a sample which read 1.020! Far from done but surprising to me.

i've become a huge fermentis fan... just intuitively i didn't care for dry yeasts, but everyone i've used so far i'm digging. 05 the most, but i'm excited by a couple of things with 58 in them right now.. hail fermentis.

Latest posts

Back