Conical Fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorsemenRugby58

Reaction score
I've been looking into purchasing a conical. Blichmann's stuff looks class but I kinda sorta want to try a plastic one first. I was wondering if anybody had purchased a 15gallon inductor tank. Just wondering if there are any special things you need to do to the tank if you bought the plastic inductor...like..

Adding a bottom valve for trub release

Sealing the top

Making space for an airlock

I was really dead set on buying a conical for a few months... I was just obsessed. But I didn't want to spring for it so I was leaning towards the plastic as well.

However, I finally came to the feeling that the plastic conicals are just not worth it. All over these forums, you'll see advice telling you to not use plastic buckets for fermenters too many times because they scratch so easily and can harbor bacteria. I feel like the plastic conicals are just as prone to scratching. As we say with a lot of things around here "it works perfectly fine... until it doesn't." And then you have a very expensive bacteria farm.

Another reason I decided against one was getting my priorities straight. I really wanted a conical, but I was not even controlling my fermentation temps at the time. Temp control is a verified way to make an improvement in the quality of your beer, whereas a conical really just makes life a little easier. Do you have plans for how to control your temps if you get the conical? To me, it seems the easiest way is to buy a fridge solely for that purpose. There are probably some more economical methods that require some extra effort.

So if you've got solutions for both of these, then I say go for it. But plenty of people brew great beer without them, harvest yeast just fine, and save hundreds of dollars. Personally I'd rather spend on all sorts of cool brewing equipment like refractometers, etc.

from what they show you would need a butterfly valve down the bottom cap for a dump valve. then drill a hole in the side for a sample racking valve. then some sort of venting system up top.

like mentioned plastic isn't as durable as SS so you would need to be gentle when washing and use soft bristle brushes

46d955ed8bd978fdc50535e7049fea06.jpg

There are several build threads here on HBT. If you want a conical and don't want to drop the cash for stainless, the plastic tanks work well.

I've been looking into purchasing a conical. Blichmann's stuff looks class but I kinda sorta want to try a plastic one first. I was wondering if anybody had purchased a 15gallon inductor tank. Just wondering if there are any special things you need to do to the tank if you bought the plastic inductor...like..

Adding a bottom valve for trub release

Sealing the top

Making space for an airlock

yes to all 3 of those items you mention. plastic works fine, easy to clean with some oxyclean and lightweight so you can rinse it out in the shower.

some people put SS fittings on the bottom but no reason not to stick with pvc ball valve for the dump.

i found with mine that it was easier to seal the top with some rubber gasketing material (old play ball stolen from children LOL) instead of silicone which never fully set and always smelled awful.

i've since moved on to SS kegs for fermenting but the plastic worked fine.

Latest posts

Back