Help corny keg leaking!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbeachroach

Reaction score
Hello HBC,

I need some help here. I am in the habit of disconnecting my output line for my cider when I am done using my keggerator. I do this so one of my small children don't accidentally hit the keg tap and leave it in the open position and drain out all the product. Last night I disconnected the hose on the corny keg from the tap. This morning when I woke up cider was fizzing out the oring/ area and I lost about 4 quarts of product. Can someone tell me how to prevent this. Also for future cleaning, how do I get the rod out of the corny keg so I can clean the line out between keggings.

Make sure that you have enough co2 pressure to keep the o-ring and lid pushed up, plus enough keg lube on all o-rings. This will help keep a good seal.

As for the dip tube you can get a socket wrench that fits the out post and loosen it. Once the out post has been removed you can pull the dip tube out. While this is taken apart you can clean out the poppet and any other o-rings that you see.

When looking at a bare post, there's a "poppet" in the middle that keeps the beer inside the keg when there's no disconnect attached.
If that's where the leak is, try depressurizing the keg, then push down on that poppet with something pointy and let it spring back in place.
Then put some pressure on the keg and see if the poppet holds pressure.

A bit of keg lube on the poppet seal can help...

Cheers!

Back