B3 only sells Black Barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayos

Reaction score
I am pretty surprised B3 doesn't sell regular roasted barley. What is the sub amount for Roasted Barley vs. Black Roasted Barley 500L? How much more "roasty" is it?

I don't want to seem like an a$$, but how can a roasted barley at 300L be the same as a black barley at 500L? I have a limited brewing knowledge, so any explanation would be great!

Well the maltster guy is making roasted barley, has it in the oven, his wife calls him away to come fix something or help with dishes, he gets back and oh Sh*t it's really really dark so... he proclaims "I hath made *Black* roasted Barley!"

Ahem.... I read up on this a little as I had the same issue when putting together a recipe from them. Roasted Barley comes in both 300L and 500-600L ratings. I've seen the 500ish stuff more often actually, and apparently is sold as Black Roasted barley by some.

Yea, looking around:

My LHBS has "roasted barley" at 325L
B3 has "black barley"at 500L
Midwest supply has "light roasted barley" at 275-325L and "roasted barley" at 500-600L
Northern Brewer has "roasted barley" at 500L

200 Lovibond points seems pretty big to me.

I feel the lighter stuff has a much more mellow flavor with less burnt flavors. Better for an oatmeal or sweat stout or maybe a brown ale. But the dry stouts really need the darker stuff. So to correct my correction, there is a difference after all. Just a shame most places don't sell both!

nl724 - Lovibond numbers are your guide. It is all too common for different maltsters to use the same name for different grains. Most maltsters only make a 500-550L roasted barley. Some make both a 300L and a 500L. Depending on the maltster, the 300L will be called roasted barley or light roasted barley and the 500L Black roasted barley or roasted barley. Go by the numbers.

david_42 said:
nl724 - Lovibond numbers are your guide. It is all too common for different maltsters to use the same name for different grains. Most maltsters only make a 550-550L roasted barley. Some make both a 300L and a 500L. Depending on the maltster, the 300L will be called roasted barley or light roasted barley and the 500L Black roasted barley or roasted barley. Go by the numbers.

I learned this lesson recently. I ordered several 1 lb. bags from my 'L'HBS and it was labeled Roasted Barley. Well, when it came it was the 550L not the 300L I had been getting under the same name. No biggie though, I just have to adapt my recipes that use it.

Thanks guys...So I am looking to make a wee heavy. After looking at a few recipes I think I want to try to make it malty and add sweetness through caramelization of the wort...thus roasted barley should be included. I planned on using 4oz 300L RB but I only have 500L RB. Should I bump it down to 2.5-3oz or just keep it at 4oz?:drunk:

Back