Step mash instead of Decoction?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lind13

Reaction score
I am looking to brew a Sam Adams Boston Lager clone and i have yet to do a decoction, i use a herms type system and do a recirculating mash. Would i benefit from just doing protein rests as apposed to removing grain to do a decoction? Or would it either be Decoction or no decoction and that the protein rests wont benefit me to much. Just looking for some insight from some of you much more experienced drinkers. . . I mean brewers.
Cheers!

Decoction mash will give u the malty taste, if u don't do It your clone won't turn out as "cloned" as the original because sam adams does do decoction mashing, its a long process but im a fan of it, its more hands on and enhances the malty taste. Watch and study kaisers videos on decoction mashing on youtube and plan your times and decoction volumes in advanced to make it less complicated, u also get a slight rise in efficency which is why Anheiser busch and the other megabrewers do it, usually only 5% increases tho

And always pull more decoction volume than u need because sometimes the calculations don't always get u exactly to ur temp

You'll get opinions on both sides of the fence. Here's mine: A multi-infusion step mash will not add any flavor or character to the beer. A decotion will, although some will say otherwise. The rests are not necessary to make the beer unless you have some type of malt that requires them, which is highly unlikely. So, in short, unless you are going to do a decoction mash schedule, just use a single infusion.

Decoction mash will give u the malty taste, if u don't do It your clone won't turn out as "cloned" as the original because sam adams does do decoction mashing, its a long process but im a fan of it, its more hands on and enhances the malty taste. Watch and study kaisers videos on decoction mashing on youtube and plan your times and decoction volumes in advanced to make it less complicated, u also get a slight rise in efficency which is why Anheiser busch and the other megabrewers do it, usually only 5% increases tho

Anheiser-Busch uses ramped infusion mashes, not decoctions.

Oh, I just assumed they did cuz I heard a lot of megabreweries do, I guess the old saying about assuming is true! Lol

So then if i dont do a decoction, just brew it normal? Hmm, i may have to just do a decoction, i never have and am not sure i have the time for the whole process. But i guess if i wont it to taste somewhat similar i have to. . .

My second all grain was a hochkruz double decoction, trust me do your homework and the test will be a breeze, people make have created a hype about it being hard, its easy just takes a long time, all you do is take some grain and water from the mash into a different pot and boil it and bring it back to the main mash

Back