Not your average "should I scrap it" question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OblivionsGate

Reaction score
Hello all! I was super into brewing a good bit ago, brewing batch after batch, on here everyday, etc. But other stuff picked up and I totally fell out of it. Well, after picking up an oak cask, I want to jump headlong back into it :rockin:

Here is the question: when I say fell out, I mean quit cold turkey! I have three beers in secondary that have been there for somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 1/2, 2 years! Temp has stayed relatively consistent, airlocks on tight, no signs of mold. I know dumping beer is a last solution, but is this stuff even good anymore? If it is, can I just bottle it up like no time has passed?

Also, if it's good, what about throwin it in the oak cask? :drunk:

I'm sure they are frakin fantastic! If they smell and taste good then they're good.

More information would also be helpful: what style beers? Original gravity?

Oak casks are only good for certain styles. Also, stronger beers will age better and can actually benefit a lot from sitting around for a couple years

Haha, I guess tasting it couldn't kill me! I'll give them a smell and a taste before I try bottling them.

They are a belgian wit and a firecracker red (an amber ale with cinnamon candies), what is best for a cask beer?

well, if they have been in the secondary for that long, at least they havent been sitting on the trub for so long. there may be a layer of dead yeast on the bottom of the container so what i would do is rack the beer off of that bottom layer to a tertiary for a week (trying it in the process to make sure its still good), and then bottling or kegging. If bottling, you may need a repitch of yeast. If it has lost anything, dry hopping wouldnt hurt depending on style of the beer. It should be ok, I would imagine, though there could be a risk of oxidation from sitting there for so long.

Keep us up on this! I want to know how it comes out!!!

Back