Amount of yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbr_me_asap

Reaction score
Ok long story short, Im back into home brewing after about a 4 year hiatus. (being too busy, moving all over the place, etc.)

This weekend I decided to brew a batch, went into the basement, gathered all my stuff. Found an old kit that I never got around to brewing a few years back. Now Im assuming all the extracts and rice solids never go old??

But the yeast on the other hand had an expiration date. I of course decided to go to the local home brew shop and buy new yeast and "pitch" the old yeast.

The old yeast was 11 grams, and the guy at the home brew store told me the 6 gram packet was enough to do a 5 gallon batch. So I of course bought it and used it. What determines the amount of yeast used?? Does that sound right??

My starting gravity was 1.040 and I need to get down to 1.007-1.010. and the last few days its been stuck and about 1.024. Not sure that the quantity of yeast used has anything to do with that.

Just making sure the yeast thing sounds right. Not that Im panicking or anything. I just remember taking gravity readings and seeing a noticeable change from day to day, or maybe Im not remembering things correctly.

Btw, its a Brewers Best kit, American Light. The yeast was pitched at 70 degrees, and is currently fermenting at 68 degrees.

Thanks!!!

It is best to use fresh extract and pitch more yeast, but that said as long as you had good sanitation you will have good beer. Here is a highly respected site that will help you with yeast pitching rates and move you towards the great beer category. Look at the "Yeast Pitch Rate Calculator"

thanks for the link fife!!

but is there anything I can do now that Ive already pitched the brew?

or do I have to just sit and wait?

Search "stuck fermentation" there is a load of info on this site. Wouldn't hurt to swirl the yeast back into suspension. But I would be patient for a little longer. After that some people pitch a high gravity yeast and some even add beano.

Back