Replacement for bad yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlyday

Reaction score
I brewed up a scottish ale this weekend, and so far no airlock activity. I know this doesnt mean no ferementation, but I need a backup plan in case when I check the gravity soon, it hasnt moved.

When I rehydrated the yeasy (Dynstar Windsor), I didnt get the action I had before with nottingham. So I am a little leary of the yeast viability.

Problem is that there isnt a real homebrew store around. There are 2 or 3 party stores that carry a decent supply of Homebrew stuff, but not a huge selection.

Most carry Saflager 04, 05, 23, 33. So if I need to pitch something else I can use any of those. Or I have a vial of Irish ale yeast I think is WL004, and some East coast ale yeast WL008.

What would be a decent replacement if I need it.

I use Wyeast 1056 (American Ale) in my Scottish ales, which is similar to Safale US-05. Any of those will make a nice beer, so it's just about fermentation profile preferences. US-05 is pretty clean and neutral, which I like for malty beers.

The last Windsor I used took about 60 hours to really get cooking... and when it did, it blew my airlock out. Don't give up on it.

Thats good to know. Maybe I wont give up on it yet. I still want some sort of backup plan in place in case it doesnt start.
Im at about 50 hrs now, which usually wouldnt bother me but I wasnt seeing much action when I rehydrated it.

Im going to take a Gravity reading tonight and see whats up. It would be at the 55 hour mark or so. If I see some movement from the Starting gravity, Ill let it go. If not I might toss so S-05 or S-04 in there.

Saflager 04 to the rescue. After mixedbrewers comment I wanted to wait it out, but when I took the gravity reading it hadnt budged at all. If I had seen any sort of drop I would have waited it out. I tossed the S04 in at about 7 last night and was seeing some action this morning.

Back