first big beer party went well

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan

Reaction score
I had 9 kegs ready for the party:
Edwort's Apfelwein
Edwort's Haus Pale Ale (dryhopped with homegrown cascade)
Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde Ale
Amber Ale (dryhopped with homegrown cascade)
Watermelon Wheat
Rauchbier
Pre-Prohibition Style American Pilsner
DunkelWeizen
Kolsch (that had to be repitched with K-97)

Props to the folks who's recipes I used. The Haus Pale Ale didn't get tapped during the party, but was chosen by my brother to take home (and he has a discerning pallet). People all seemed to have different favorites and I think they all turned out well. Some, like the Rauchbier, were simply awesome.

I also chilled one bottle of Chocolate Cherry Stout and one Smoked Robust Porter, and did samplings of those, though they are still about a week from finished conditioning they were still good.

I was nervous putting that much stuff out there for folks to try, but it went so well I'm already trying to think of a spread to try next time. I could only tap 5 kegs at once, but that was plenty for the about 40 people there, since at least a dozen of them were children.

How old were the children? Because if it was me as a teenager, you can be sure I get a few drinks in as well.

But that's awesome man. I'm glad to hear everybody received your brew so well. I can't wait to throw a home brew party!

ALL of the kids were under 5, but some were reaching into the trash can with 2 of the kegs to grab ice. Luckily they weren't interested in beer (just my kid, who's allowed a sip from daddy when we are in private).

We didn't empty a single keg, but there was a fairly even spread of usage across the 5 that got tapped. With 30-35 adults, I know there were at least half a dozen that don't drink or "don't drink beer" or one who "doesn't drink anything but Bud". One of the "don't drink beer" guys I caught 3 times with glasses of the pre-prohibition american pilsner. Other than one guy and myself, there weren't any heavy drinkers, and with 5 taps going at the same time, I would have been surprised to see one float.

I guess the three my brother took (one of which was my dryhopped version of your Haus Pale Ale, Ed) are empty... for me at least. ;) He has five kegs of my stuff now at his house (and I just gave him three more faucets to install on his kegorator so he can tap them all at once). He's ended up with some of my best brews of the year so far! I gotta keep him happy so he'll keep fixing and making things for me.

Incidentally, we live in the boonies, so people who are city-folk often consider it a pain in the ass to drive out to our place (even though it's only 15 miles outside of town, that must seem like a lot to folks who walk to work or drive five minutes). I was surprised that as many people showed up as we had, and MANY folks kept saying that they wouldn't mind driving out again for another homebrew sampling. I've had 3 years practice, and have been really working hard on these this year, so I had hoped they'd be good, but I was very pleased at their reception. I really was SUPER nervous, which I never am when I cook for people, I guess the home brew is more meaningful, but I'll definitely do it again now. Next time I will make comment cards for people to ask for input on the beers.

nathan - Wow, now that is what I would call a party.
Can I say Wow again.
I'm really glad that so many people really enjoyed the output of your hard work, patience, and dedication.
I think I need a larger kegerator, a larger house and more friends that like homebrew.
Only thing I can add is if your giving multiple kegs your your brother, I hope there is a little payback some place there, like baby sitting for a night out.

my brother is pretty helpful with trading useful skills and services. He's also been finding cornies and buying them to give me to up my keg float. Between his house and mine right now I have about 16 working cornies, so I have plenty to get filled up!

watch craig's list for chest freezers. buy a few cornie kegs. get a CO2 tank on craigs list, then go buy some tubing and cornie fittings and you are kegging. It's not as expensive or difficult as it sounds, and it is SO much easier to keg a batch than to bottle. I've had bad bottles, but nary a bad keg. You can force carb, then chill for clarification, and get a really nice product more easily.

Congrats on two fronts - first for the success with the party, second to find the time to brew that much beer!!

Back