anything else I need? Noob needs help..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBRunner

Reaction score
OK,

I hope to brew my first batch this Friday....I'm going with a simple hefe...:ban:

I will be hitting the LHBS to get my primary bucket, airlock, malt kit and triple scale....

anything else I might need for the first batch?

I have the turkey set-up, so I am good to go with the big pot....

I will get the Carboy, racking cane, and other stuff I need probably next week...

Still trying to decide whether to skip bottling altogether, and go with kegging....

any advice you can give me would be great...

Thanks
Chad

:mug:

How are you going to chill your batch?

Immersion chiller may seem aa bit spendy but, IMO, will be critical.
How cold is the groundwater in Huntsville?

Is this AG or Extract?

You will need something to clean everything up with such as PBW, as well as something to sanitize your equipment (like Iodophor), and some non abrasive sponges.

Also required: a stopper or carboy cap so you can use the airlock in secondary fermentation with you carboy.

a hydrometer and a thermometer might be helpful as well.

olllllo said:
How are you going to chill your batch?

Immersion chiller may seem aa bit spendy but, IMO, will be critical.
How cold is the groundwater in Huntsville?

I will using the old fashioned method of a Rubbermaid tub and ice water...

I am going to get the sanitizer when I get my stuff.......

I am also going to pick up the incidentals also that I need.....

hopefully, all will go well...

I will keep ya updated ....

Thanks

Chad

One more thing, get a notebook to use as a brewlog. You should take good notes to learn from what works/doesn't work. Record all those details and have fun. Don't forget to have fun!

Tradeforcash said:
...any advice you can give me would be great...
Beer. Buy some beer.

Good beer. Good craft beer with pop tops.

Plan on having fun. Keep notes. And as soon as this first batch is in the fermenter, go get another batch and start looking forward to next weekend.

A long spoon or paddle and maybe a whisk. I beat the hell out of my worts with a whisk for a few minutes before I pitch, some folks here oxygenate using aquarium pumps or other means.

Just a few minor things...

1: Don't forget the grain bag! Specialty malts make a big difference in an extract brew.
2: A self-adhesive thermometer for your primary will be very handy.
3: Irish Moss, Whirlfloc-T or some other fining agent for the end of the boil won't hurt.

BierMuncher said:
Beer. Buy some beer.

Plan on having fun. Keep notes. And as soon as this first batch is in the fermenter, go get another batch and start looking forward to next weekend.

I will be keeping notes, and probably a couple of pics also...

I have some Shiner Hefe that I will be drinking while I brew this up....

Thanks for the advice.......

BierMuncher said:
Beer. Buy some beer.

Good advice...Thanks man.:rockin:

Back