Amber Ale comparison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhymenoceros

Reaction score
So I'm in the process of brewing a super simple amber ale, just malt extract and hop pellets and I was wondering if you guys knew of anything I could get that would taste similar, for comparison.

It was a kit, I don't remember the recipe, not too helpful I know. I think it was Carmel malt extract and just a packet of hop pellets.

That makes it hard to compare to a commercial beer! Beer is only malt, hops, water, and yeast, so without knowing what kinds you used it would be very hard to give you an commercial beer.

Yeah, sorry about that. I'd like to be able to help you out with some commercial examples. American ambers are all over the place- some are kind of hoppy, some are pretty malty, etc. A run-of-the-mill one in my opinion is Fat Tire. But you may have used different hops and yeast at a different temperature, and you'll get a totally different result.

So it's about 7 lbs of amber LME with an ounce of Cascade hop pellets and an 11g packet of Nottingham.

Which location did you buy it at?

That is a great shop. The folks there are top notch and quite knowledgeable.

That is the same kit that came with my equipment, however, I didn't brew it, so I can't really tell you what it tastes like. By the time I got it, it was about 1.5-2 years old and had been sitting out in my brothers basement. I figured for my first brew, I'd probably be better off with fresh ingredients. :)

I love Ambers.
Goose Island Amber (moderate -light bitterness)
Petes Wicked Ale (light bitterness)
Captial Brewery Wisconsin Amber (moderate bitterness)
are candidates.
Good choice. Hops are everything with an amber.

Back